Kato Announce N Scale British Class 800 IEP

Kiran

Claude_Dreyfus

I have an LNER version on order from Train Trax in the UK. Looking forward to it.

Edited by Claude_Dreyfus
  • Like 1

They could make a 4 car add-on set. Can't they? I am surprised they didn't do the 9 car set already. I ordered 2 sets of GWR and 1 LNER.

BTW, are the decoders EM13/FL12? Does anyone know?

21 hours ago, Kiran said:

The GWR version has hit the shelfs in Japan. I have a couple of them on order with RG but waiting for LNER version to come out before having a package shipped.

Here's a shelf it hit:

kato-gwr-800-series.jpg

Edited by railsquid
  • Like 3
disturbman
1 hour ago, Claude_Dreyfus said:

A pretty detailed review of the GWR liveried version is below.

https://www.ngaugenews.com/post/review-kato-hitachi-class-800

Thanks for that. It's nice to able to read a review about a product from a manufacturer we are are used to. That article also had an interesting tidbit about the Japanese market.

N Gauge attracts a significantly greater number of railway modelers in Japan than it does in the UK, a standard Kato production run being around 10,000 units. Compare this to the UK where N Gauge is only around 15-20% of the OO market, and production runs are not likely to exceed 2500 units.

Edited by disturbman
  • Like 3
On 5/15/2021 at 11:21 AM, disturbman said:

Thanks for that. It's nice to able to read a review about a product from a manufacturer we are are used to. That article also had an interesting tidbit about the Japanese market.

Only ten thousand units? That sounds less.

On 5/15/2021 at 2:21 PM, disturbman said:

For a "unit", does it represent a set or a single car?

disturbman

In this context, most likely, a set. Counting single cars makes sense for real life trains, but not for models as they are sold as fix sets. The only time single cars will be counted is when they are sold as such.

• Thanks 1