Forgot to say hello

RossDensha

Ross,

glad you found the looney bin here! We have the whole spectrum here and all are welcome!

you’ll probably get infected with the modeling bug at some point, most do. As the borg say, Resistance is futile.

enjoy!

jeff

• Like 2
2 hours ago, RossDensha said:

I'd be interested in modelling, but it looks expensive and complicated.

The bug may bite one day...

You can always just get the trains and run them.  No "modeling" is required to have fun!

• Like 1
7 hours ago, railsquid said:

I too joined up as a non-modeller...

OMG if that’s the case mrs squid must hate us!

jeff

• Haha 1

Hi there! 

If you're already a lover for trains, then I believe the bug wouldn't be far off to inflict that 1st bite~  🙂

Perhaps consider getting a nice little starter set first to see how much you like the trains and how much you like running them before committing into building a layout?  😈

As a member of the uninitiated, I didn't really think of a difference between 'running' and 'modelling'.

Yes, running trains might happen...

It’s a slippery slope! I’ll never do that, I’ll never do that, I’ll never do that,mor crap I have a layout!

jeff

• Haha 1
Martijn Meerts

Running fairly quickly evolves into modelling, usually starts with adding a couple of buildings to a temporary layout, or adding one of those pre-built tunnels 😉

• Like 1

Yeah slippery slope man, slippery slope... you plop down one of those foam tunnels with your first train set and a days later you wake up with trains running past your bed and throughout the house; buildings, vehicles and open train sets everywhere; ground foam in your hair; backdrop mural painted across the living room wall, a 6’ plaster cloth mountain in the dining room, messages on the answering machine your gone over your limit on your credit cards; and the past week is a blur... Not pretty man, not pretty...

jeff

Not sure putting down a foam tunnel and some pre-made (say, KATO or Tomytech) buildings is considered "modeling".  I consider that "running".   🙂  🙂

Modeling is sticking on the grab bars and destination bits, or weathering, or building Sankei buildings, or modding a pre-made building, or creating actual terrain for the buildings to sit on (instead of just a table or green cloth), or bothering with the catenary, etc 🙂

Modeling is a really wide spectrum and permutation of things and different for each of us. But commonly is started with that stupid prefab tunnel and saying “you know that would look better if I... or now I need a...”! 😜

jeff

• Like 1
4 hours ago, chadbag said:

Modeling is sticking on the grab bars and destination bits, or weathering, or building Sankei buildings, or modding a pre-made building, or creating actual terrain for the buildings to sit on (instead of just a table or green cloth), or bothering with the catenary, etc 🙂

If that's the definition, I'm sure I won't have to wait long until you're a modeler, Chad 🤣

28 minutes ago, gavino200 said:

If that's the definition, I'm sure I won't have to wait long until you're a modeler, Chad 🤣

It will be a long time.  I just stick a few buildings on and run.  I do fiddle with the electronics and wiring a bit too much...  (I have not forgotten about the DIY lights project -- just busy trying to get ready for permits and construction loan on the house)

I'll transition over one of these days.

• Like 1
Martijn Meerts

You’re going pro-modeller, building a 1:1 scale house ... once you’ve built a Sankei kit, a 1:1 scale house shouldn’t be a challenge anymore at least 😉