Rejected for JET

SuperAzusa

Just had some upsetting news. My wife has been rejected for the UK JET programme. We were so certain that she would be accepted that we've spent the last two years readying ourselves to live over in Japan (she's fluent, N2-certed).

I was so very keen for us to have a year living out there to see if we could manage (and get away from the dreary Cardiff weather), and now it's not going to happen. Plus, the programme won't even give feedback on her application. If  JET were run by the UK or an EU government, I'm positive it would break all sorts of transparency guidelines. Or something.

So, now we're at a crossroads. We did agree that if she didn't get JET, we'd start looking for a house (which in the UK market is a terrifying prospect). But we don't want to feel trapped into that decision just because she, obstensibly, got turned down for a job. We do want to try living in Japan. Even just for a year.

I'll gladly accept any wisdom you guys have.

😞

• Sad 3

Sorry to hear that, big bummer.

i know even lime 6 or 7 years back the number of teaching position both public and private were on the decline.

jeff

Just surmising, but perhaps the hurdle is higher with couples, especially when one spouse is not involved in the program. I have seen couples in JET, but both were teaching in the program. The preference overall is for single applicants as the adjustment process for both the participant and the host institution is seen as simpler. FWIW I was rejected by the US Foreign Service twice, and the only feedback given was the interview assessment was not successful. 

49 minutes ago, bikkuri bahn said:

Just surmising, but perhaps the hurdle is higher with couples, especially when one spouse is not involved in the program. I have seen couples in JET, but both were teaching in the program. The preference overall is for single applicants

Yup this. I know a few people in the Jet programs. And others attempting the programs.

The program pays peanuts and many have left half way through due to financial stresses. Couples tend to be the worst.

Also they are looking for more than a one year investment. So if you communicated you only wanted to stay a year, then they may have rejected due to this.

Edited by katoftw
10 hours ago, katoftw said:

Also they are looking for more than a one year investment. So if you communicated you only wanted to stay a year, then they may have rejected due to this.

hmm yes everyone I’ve know who’s gone to teach English has been 2-3 years there, none under 2 years.

JET is an program to get language teachers (mostly English) to japan to teach for a couple of years.

from wikipedia

”The Japan Exchange and Teaching Programme, or JET Programme, is a Japanese government initiative that brings college graduates—mostly native speakers of English—to Japan as Assistant Language Teachers and Sports Education Advisors in Japanese kindergartens, elementary, junior high and high schools, or as Coordinators for International Relations in local governments and boards of education. JET Programme participants are collectively called JETs.”

http://jetprogramme.org/en/about-jet/

Jeff

• Thanks 1
11 hours ago, katoftw said:

The application form didn't allow for any specification as to how long we would want to be there for.

All things going well we'd have been happy to be there for the full 5 years.

Sorry to hear that... it's such a bummer... 

Sorry for being a noob, but would there be other venues aside JET whereby one can go to Japan to seek employment and hence stay there? 

Edited by JR 500系

The main options are:

a) English teaching

b) have some specific skillset for which a high demand exists (usually IT)

c) marry someone Japanese

There's also a whole boatload of highly specific possibilities (e.g. contractor for the US military, academic scholarships, working holiday visa if the right age and from the right country, etc.)