JR Tokai 700 Series Last Run 8 March 2020

bill937ca

On December 11, JR Tokai announced that the 700 series Shinkansen train will be finalized on March 8, 2020.

The final train will be a temporary “Nozomi 315” for all seats reserved between Tokyo and Shin-Osaka (Tokyo 9:47 departure – Shin-Osaka 12:20 arrival). Will be held.

In addition, temporary trains of 700 series will be operated on February 29 and March 1, 2020 prior to the final operation. Time is February 29 from Tokyo 8:53 to Shin-Osaka 11:30 and March 1 from Shin-Osaka 8:23 to Tokyo 10:56. Applications will begin sequentially from December 11 at JR Tokai Tours.

https://response.jp/article/2019/12/11/329704.html?fbclid=IwAR17fjKzKC1f-5d76o2r3yx4RJWQ3jS3f0yziS0cd2h8pcWsu3qSORuIfnU

JR Tokai 700 Series Last Run page:

https://recommend.jr-central.co.jp/700/lastrun/?fbclid=IwAR3nYs7QHuy2zY7ID0XOGI21BXuzLhrkHehi5O84aW3sqz4rQy6hIws8JWg

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

JR West will likely retire there last 16 set 700's around the same time considering as of now there are only 4 left.

The railstar sets will still be around for an while, unsure about the 500 though, it's possible both start retiring once the main production starts of the N700S.

Sigh, I do so love the 700. Felt like the last shinkansen to have all the final tweaks to the curves done by hand with French curves, not bezier or total airflow simulation.

jeff

• Like 2

Besides the age, the 700 Series Shinkansen lacked the slight tilting ability needed to navigate the curves between Mashima and Shin-Yokohama Stations at higher speed and also was limited to a top speed to 285 km/h. A complete switch to the N700A (and soon N700S) may allow a speed increase on the Tokaidō Shinkansen on certain portions to a full 300 km/h, like between Shizuoka to Toyohashi and between Kyoto and Maibara, in my opinion.

On 12/23/2019 at 3:30 AM, cteno4 said:

Sigh, I do so love the 700. Felt like the last shinkansen to have all the final tweaks to the curves done by hand with French curves, not bezier or total airflow simulation.

jeff

In my opinion it's also the last bullet train that looks less like a bullet goose beak and more like a train.

Edited by Socimi
  • Like 1

Power efficiency as well, steady increase in n and s variants.

yes airflow totally took over the design later. Very good for noise and efficiency but not as good for looks...

jeff

HankyuDentetsu

I don't know - I always found the centred light placement on the nose of the 700 a bit annoying - much prefer the newer models and their wider placement. If you pause that video at 0:38 it's clear which nose looks smarter. The narrower cockpit windows on the newer models also look much better. I won't miss the 700s, but I do very much appreciate the sweeping curves of the 700 vs the N700/A/S; a result of more basic CFD vs modern day technology. 

• Like 1
Martijn Meerts

Well, at least you now have proof that crooked / damaged / missing decals is prototypical, no need for them to be applied perfectly anymore 😉

• Haha 3

Strange the previous decals for the 100 series and 300 series didn't seem to have this issue... or did they also suffered the same fate and just that technology wasn't so convenient then to just snap a photo and post it onto the net....