Sheffie

Green & Grey

Sheffie

Interestingly, my wife has shown a lot more interest in the layout since I learned about these models. 

I discussed the coal mine / depot with her, and she heartily agreed that it’s much too nasty a building for such a “cute” village. 

There, however, our thoughts went in very different directions.

She: they have a farm model, right? We could get sheep!

Me: just the boiler house and chimney, next to a mine entrance. 

https://www.metcalfemodels.com/product/pn184-n-scale-boilerhouse-factory-entrance/

bill937ca

Whey don't you change the mine to a brewery?

Cat

Sheep are always festive additions!

• Like 1

Sheffie

This is a bit of an experiment. 

44860F12-49CE-4BC7-9B6D-AC7843DD4DDC.thumb.jpeg.0c8647bc731f6b558f5d86c7f584c813.jpeg

The picture tells the story. 

I noticed that the trains were bobbing up and down as they passed over the catenary poles, and in places I’ve seen the track moving up and down too, especially when locomotives go by. 

The problem is that the supports go across under the track, causing appreciable gaps to appear — in the photo above, there’s quite a shadow on the left. 

So, I’ve cut off the part of the support that stretches under the track (pictured) and I’m using 3/4 inch pins to hold the bases in position. 

If those pins are good enough to withstand the dust sheet going on and off every day, I’ll probably do the same thing for the other ones around the loop. If not... I may try pins plus glue. 

Jimbo

had that problem with mine,, some I found I had enough room so just drilled holes in the table an mounted them,, other spots I cut down the mounts an just used the pad an glued it to the table,,,

• Like 1

cteno4

Pin plus a small tad of white glue should hold it well but still be yankable with needle nose. Put pin in then pull and ad just a little bit of glue to the hole and push pin back in. Experiment. If you get it just right it hold well but if you really snag the dust sheet or finger on it the joint lets loose before breaking the part.

cheers

jeff

• Like 1

Sheffie

More work on the village station. 

28FBF1F7-2A9B-47D5-826A-DEB03DC526EC.thumb.jpeg.98f5972ecdb541025523e3f59e66cf9e.jpeg

The platform is built and attached to the station building. They’re sitting on a common base plate— the Metcalfe Models platforms are clearly intended to be installed at rail height (because not everyone uses modular track).

The base plate is finished out with paving stones and a bit of fence which originally belonged to the Kato rural platform kit. 

• Like 3

yakumo381

I used Metcalfe Card Models a lot in the past when I modeled N gauge UK steam era trains and even kit-bashed them for a Peruvian Railway layout. They are good but be careful that you keep them out of direct sunlight as they do tend to fade when exposed over time. From recollection, I noticed the fading after a couple of years in direct light from a window and after that I made sure to keep the blinds semi-closed in summer.

• Like 1

cteno4

Dull coat may help this a little, but always a problem with printed material and sunlight! 

jeff

Sheffie

I’m happy to announce the return of an old favorite... hunter green cloth!

629B020D-E61B-495B-9C6A-84337F96DB70.thumb.jpeg.fe32d15e520977fab9e401b03c0c4b6f.jpeg

This all looks quite arbitrary, and indeed messy, but, fortunately the combination of cardboard and cloth is quite forgiving. And there’s a plan. 

It looks better in place with the buildings. Those that are finished, at least. 

5825A6CE-0576-4200-8BC3-1E1BF235E8DC.thumb.jpeg.8bbd6ac40c0a59221a72a8967375fa16.jpeg

Bonus point: I needed to conceal some errors around the kerb stones in front of the goods shed, so I used a mixture of black and white acrylic with thinners to create some stains in the gutter and in front of the main loading bay. since, you know, any lorries that park there might leak oil and grime.

Edited by Sheffie
  • Like 2