Crazy Auctions / Prices Thread

cteno4

Not tempting me. They're about $125 US from HobbySearch. I got one of mine for about $100 Australian from Yahoo Auctions. They are a very nice model, but not 500 dollars worth of nice.

All the best,

Mark.

I've seen some Koki with container sets that interested me on ebay but they where like AUD$200-$600 for a bookcase full. The only thing that stopped me from pulling the trigger was the feeling that something was wrong with those listings, cos I swore that the pics used resembled screenshots of Kokis+containers of the stock owned by either a youtuber or a layout rental place.

I’ve found many ebay sellers can be lazy and just pull images from anywhere of what they have rather than take pictures of the item in front of them or just post one picture. Very annoying and granted it lowers my desire to buy from them.

jeff

Absolutely a no on my part when buying second hand trains, even more on eBay where people are a lot less careful and upfront than sellers on YJA.

You are not there yet? It’s only a bit more than a thousand sets and jewels.

I have been really curious to see for how much this will sell. Even right now, at 6 million yen, it’s a bargain. The shipping will be expensive.

• Like 2

I thin I’m only about 1.5 or 2 of those shelf units… does make you think of you unexpectedly shook off these mortal coils what would need to be done with 

your collection…

jeff

38 minutes ago, cteno4 said:

I thin I’m only about 1.5 or 2 of those shelf units… does make you think of you unexpectedly shook off these mortal coils what would need to be done with 

your collection…

jeff

Make a will! Bequeath them to me!!!

I use the same shelves as in the picture. I have one of those about 2/3 full of Kato/Tomix/Tomytec boxes. The rest is various tubs full of Fleischmann boxes.

47 minutes ago, JR East said:

Yeah, looks crazy. 

No clue if - one purchased - people abroad have to pay VAT on top (FR 20% is quite huge)

On top of admin fee but also additional import fees since this would be considered a commercial amount

I think it would be taken up by hobby shops maybe? They could split the loot and work out the profits before bidding, and also draw on loans to purchase 6 mil worth of trains... I doubt anyone outside Japan would get it... hack even Buyee has a set 1 mil yen limit for bidding!  🙂

3 mins to go, think it'll close at 6.001 mil. quite worthy actually looking at the vast amounts of train sets and possible gems within there... 

Yeah, I’d expect this collection to be worth about three times the 6 millions it went for.

Maybe a lot of it will end up at YJA again.

Ok, I can let the cat out the proverbial bag now. I was kind of shocked that squid stumbled on this and it almost screwed up our plans that have been in the works for months. A few months back our club was approached (a friend of a friend of one of our club members that lived in japan for a while) by a small Japanese hobby shop going out of business if we wanted to buy a good chunk of the remaining train stock at their business. They had worked out the costs to ship it over in one or two of those international moving crates to not be very bad at all and US has no commercial duty on toys from japan. We looked at the stock and the price and it worked out about 50 cents on the dollar of street price and over three quarters the stuff was of interest to the club members. Small remaining stuff we figured we could easily sell off at 75 cents on the dollar on ebay and such and make a cool 25% on the investment in 6-12 months. We worked out all the details and it was looking very good, but we got scooped by a local Japanese club that had the same idea and found out about our deal and came in offering substantially more. Shop owner of course had to take it and we had no contract in place yet. 

but this got us thinking and the member’s friend in japan said there was a good market of collections and some bulk excess out of business inventory happening. Our contact was also thinking entrepreneurially and interesting at being the agent for it all, getting some of the trains cheap and getting a cut of selling some of the unwanted stuff in japan as well (he had connections to our sister club in japan that would love cheap trains but was not interested in investing). Two of our club members also had dreams of starting a small Japanese train importing business going on 15 years now, but it never quite got going, but this could be the catalyst for it. One of our ex club members also works weekends in a hobby shop that buys collections from estates and sells them off at trains shows and ebay so we could tap his knowledge and experiences as well as hire him (he’s back in school so looking for extra work he can do in random bits of time) and potentially use a small warehouse his dad owns to store and sort everything. So our little consortium was born. Each investment share gets you so many trains at cost and then the rest left over you get returned with a split of overall profits once everything is sold off (if sales happen fast we can vote on doing a profit disbursement half way through the deal).

We looked at several collections and things just didn’t quite work out due to inventory and price. Then our agent in japan spotted this collection on yahoo japan and there was a chance it could go cheap! It was a bit more money than we were expecting to invest but if it went cheap we could make a good profit on the investment along with cheap trains! We quickly went around the group and had shares sold to invest up to 7mil yen for a collection like this. We almost went outside the club for investors, but turns out there were more members than we thought with the entrepreneurial dreams like this! If things grow we may bring in more investors.

So our agent put in a bid and then squid send this post out! Talk about a big collective stomach drop! But the bidding action did not seem to change and we readied our final bid for the end thinking there may be a rapid snipe war at the end, but there wasn’t! Winner winner chicken dinner! Monday will be getting off the second wire transfer to the agent in japan and then starting the process of doing the draft rounds on investors picking trains and then figuring out what will sell best in japan and then here. If this works out well it could well become a business! We have luckily cobbled together all links in the chain and just need to make sure it will work and if it does we can turn it over to the two members who are interested in doing this as both are right at retirement and looking for a project like this. Both well suited as one is a tax and business accountant and the other a lifetime in retail and commercial plumbing sales (hey r248 / pipe elbow same diff!)

we will probably be doing a first round of sales with a discount to JNS members and other clubs to kick things off in a couple of months, so stay tuned. We will start a vendor thread here soon and hopefully will become an ongoing thing.

wish us luck!

cheers

jeff

• Like 10
  • Haha 4

Congrats! I’m want to see all the Micro Ace listing 😉 

6 minutes ago, katoftw said:

It was bound to make it to this community.

Most definitely, we talked about it on the discord on Monday, when it was still at €7,000. We just forgot to post it here.