Crazy Auctions / Prices Thread

cteno4

you get 1.5 cars and the display track.  be prefect if you have that set originally and the case or a few cars were less than good condition.

Just such a weird combo. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a special set with display track and six car Shinkansen on ebay us before. You once and a while see one car missing or broken, but not so many or once and a once and a while a full set missing a case. $50 starting price for who knows how mangled a motor car and all from a seller of old auto parts, there’s an interesting story there.

jeff

just looking through e bay,,(EF66)  cant believe the prices,, one can buy new cheaper then used!!   I checked a couple of places on line an the EF66 seems to be sold out,,??a couple of the sellers have the engine an two car sets cheaper then the used ones!    Any how  I guess prices have gone up since last year, lol not bitching just surprised!!  Does the market really change that much??

Many times here in the us folks get a Japanese train and think it’s rare and will put it up without research (you also see this at train shows a lot).

I think some of the Japanese sellers think they can just get a higher price from those who are not aware of the reasonable price.

some are just absurd...

Always do your research!

jeff

• Like 1

No indication of the nature of the DCC fitted either. It's going to be a custom job of some kind, if the sound is done really well and has sounds customised to the loco it might just be  reasonable value if you're into that kind of thing I suppose (personally I just imagine it going "chuff chuff" in my head).

• Haha 1

😂

Somehow, I doubt his claim that he bought that set for 325 euros from DM-Toys. They have a similar set for sale for about 54 euros...

On 12/14/2019 at 8:43 AM, railsquid said:

No indication of the nature of the DCC fitted either. It's going to be a custom job of some kind, if the sound is done really well and has sounds customised to the loco it might just be  reasonable value if you're into that kind of thing I suppose (personally I just imagine it going "chuff chuff" in my head).

Frankly for most of my Japanese trains since they're electric the slight buzz from the motor and the noise from the metal wheels is enough to make them sound like real trains...after watching I don't even know how many YT videos of JRF KoKi trains most of what you hear is the click-clack anyway. 

On 12/12/2019 at 10:21 PM, cteno4 said:

Many times here in the us folks get a Japanese train and think it’s rare and will put it up without research (you also see this at train shows a lot).

I've made more than a fewer sellers at shows mad when I showed them what the retail and shipping was for a new item when they were selling something used for almost twice the amount. With Amazon Japan this is even more fun. I did get a Kato Type 0 8 car set and a Tomix Hokutosei EF81 for $80 once, no cases but it was a decent deal since it was relatively recent Type 0 release. No cases for either but I had extra number boards for the EF81. 

marknewton

Not a Kato model. The logo on the box is for the Endo company.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Thanks 1

I found my 'rare' lol ef63 on e bay finally got it for half the sellers asking price,  e bay now has two more at 125 buy it now!! not so "rare" is it!  just a test paint nothing more nothing less,,

IMG_0245.JPG

• Like 1
On 5/12/2020 at 3:21 AM, roadstar_na6 said:

Not particularly crazy but apparently really old:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/224007192919

Can anyone say who the manufacturer of this is? Is it really a Kato made loco?

Like Mark says, Endo. Fairly old, produced from 1978. Might be interesting if you're collecting old models, otherwise steer clear. They usually go for a couple of thousand yen in Japan, and are also prone to split gears.

23 hours ago, Jimbo said:

I found my 'rare' lol ef63 on e bay finally got it for half the sellers asking price,  e bay now has two more at 125 buy it now!! not so "rare" is it!  just a test paint nothing more nothing less,,

IMG_0245.JPG

That's an EF64 - Kato or Tomix? The Tomix one is fairly rare and commands high prices in Japan (around 12,000 yen).

roadstar_na6
17 minutes ago, railsquid said:

[...]

I‘m not interested in getting it since even tho it‘s old and probably pretty well made for it‘s time period I‘m not really into getting stuff this old and for double the price of what I‘d pay if I got it from Japan 😄

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, roadstar_na6 said:

I‘m not interested in getting it since even tho it‘s old and probably pretty well made for it‘s time period I‘m not really into getting stuff this old and for double the price of what I‘d pay if I got it from Japan 😄

Kato is your best bet for EF58s.

Apart from the old Endo version, there are also models from Tomix and MicroAce; the Tomix version is also very dated, and while the MicroAce ones are OK and usually cheap, the Kato ones are generally preferable (unless you're after the old body style, in which case your options are MicroAce and World Kogei, and here MicroAce wins hands down).

Edited by railsquid
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Welshbloke

I have a Tomix EF58. Poor thing struggles to haul more than two or three coaches. Seems like not enough weight spread over too many axles.

7 hours ago, railsquid said:

That's an EF64 - Kato or Tomix? The Tomix one is fairly rare and commands high prices in Japan (around 12,000 yen).

its a Kato 80 bucks U S,,  seen two others 125.00 an 130.00  the 125 one was u s the 130 one was japan  I know its a test color,  but didn't think it is all that "rare" after find two more of them,,

The Tomix version does seem quite rare and highly sought after so fetches higher prices; the Kato model is a little older and much less rare.

That's actually cheap. I've seen worse for that set. I don't know. I haven't checked the closed search but I somehow doubt anyone would pay 25-32K for a two car set. It's not even an extraordinary one.