Twilight Express Mizukaze - Which is better?

JR 500系

Hi guys!

Well, I guessed most of us have gotten the Mizukaze, which is a really lovely model! It leaves me to ponder some thoughts that I would like to gather some views on... I know the topic of Kato versus Tomix is never-ending, but this model has some really interesting factors to consider between the two… 

Personally, I got the Kato, and what I am feeling right now is like... I should have gotten the Tomix… Tomix really did it this time and I felt they really out-shone Kato for this model... Here are some Tomix model videos for your viewing:

And a Kato one:

As we can see, Tomix has the following features that Kato didn't, which really disappointed me:

1) Full interior lights 

2) printed engine parts on the under chassis 

3) Really beautifully painted interior in the front and rear observation cars, right up to the seats and the mat... It even has lighted boards under the seats!

4) beautifully painted details on the Suite, including lighted up bedside lanterns 

5) Some other lighted up lanterns in the other cars 

Kato only seemed to have one advantage... the price... 

This made me think if I should have spurge and just went with the Tomix instead... Now that i have the Kato it really didn't make economical sense to me to also get the Tomix one...  What are your thoughts? 

For me, Kato will usually have the advatage of easy DCC installation.  Additionaly in the case of the electro-couplers equipped Tomix can hinder their compatabilty with things like auto-reversing loops.  That is less an issue on a 10 car train, but still a consideration.   Would i like the kato to be more detailed or the tomix to be more DCC friendly, heck yeah.  Or to have the dexterity ti apply a detail sticker set.

Am I the only one who ordered the TOMIX version? The price difference is not so big because of the interior lighting already installed (of which I made a price comparison sheet before).

Will give my personal impressions of the TOMIX version once I have tried it next week.

32 minutes ago, EdF said:

Kato will usually have the advatage of easy DCC installation

Well TOMIX did make a DCC version for the 0.1% 😁

Some? The vocal minority? 😉

I am sure I am not the only one that does not find these cruise trains that appealing 🙊

Edited by disturbman
  • Like 1

While I like the train.  I didn't get it considering the price.  After getting the Seven Stars of Kyushu, I couldn't bring myself to purchase another high priced cruise train.

I am quite happy with my kato TEM, the detail is quite good and the price was also attractive.  I'm sure I would have been equally impressed with the tomix version, but the DCC readiness of the kato TEM was a huge advantage.  It took less than 5 minutes to convert, and runs beautifully. 

On 12/10/2019 at 10:55 PM, railsquid said:

"Most"?

Should I use 'ALL'?  😛 It's a crime not to own one ~  😛

The Tomix has so much light boards in it and i'm a real sucker for lights.... Too bad I am running analogue so... 

16 hours ago, JR 500系 said:

Should I use 'ALL'?  😛 It's a crime not to own one ~  😛

Certainly not a crime, it is our solemn duty to support the Japanese model railway industry, but I can't see any more than 'SOME' :P.

(it is a very nice model, but fails to tick any of my boxes).

• Haha 1

Seeing the 2 models next to each other in Poppondetta Hakata, I’m glad I got the Kato one.

Firstly I do think Tomix did a great job on the interior detail, the seats on the car 1 and car 10 observation lounges. They also added some nice exterior features of detail that Kato didn’t add. 

Displayed next to each other, I felt that the Tomix paintwork was a little duller compared to the Kato. From the model I saw, I felt that the pad printing looked a little crisper on the Kato too. Others may have a different view and it comes down to personal preference.

Ultimately, if you feel disappointed, then you probably get the Tomix one. 

• Thanks 2

Wow thanks guys for the inputs!

21 minutes ago, Kamome said:

Seeing the 2 models next to each other in Poppondetta Hakata, I’m glad I got the Kato one.

Firstly I do think Tomix did a great job on the interior detail, the seats on the car 1 and car 10 observation lounges. They also added some nice exterior features of detail that Kato didn’t add. 

Displayed next to each other, I felt that the Tomix paintwork was a little duller compared to the Kato. From the model I saw, I felt that the pad printing looked a little crisper on the Kato too. Others may have a different view and it comes down to personal preference.

Ultimately, if you feel disappointed, then you probably get the Tomix one. 

Thanks Kamome! Your view certainly made me feel a little better!  🙂

Guess i'll stay with the Kato for now... Cant bear to pay so much more again for the Tomix...