Server and forum software update

Martijn Meerts

Martijn Meerts

I noticed the same, for me it's also expanded that doesn't work. I'm looking into it, it might be something with cookies or local storage going crazy.

Edit: It doesn't look like something we can fix ourselves. After a bit of Googling, I found various threads on forums using the same software which had the same issue. Had a look at the official Invision forum, and they too have the issue.

Apparently, it started at exactly midnight (server time probably), so it's likely something with the year changing.

• Thanks 1
Martijn Meerts

I've just updated the forum software again, there was a minor patch which fixed the condensed / expanded toggle issue. That should be working again now.

Also, there have been some slowdowns since the server migration, but they should be solved. The server hardware wasn't anywhere near being stressed, so it was likely an issue with the web server software. I've updated the configuration a little bit to allow for more concurrent connections, but I'll keep monitoring the situation the coming days / weeks.

Also, thanks for the donations, we're back up to just shy of 200 USD again now. Since we have the upgraded server, I'll likely go and commit to using it for a year, and pay for that year in advance, that'll give a rather nice discount.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Martijn Meerts

Hi!

Quick update. We're still seeing some outages and 500 errors every now and then. I did a little research and found out the server was running out of memory. I've made a couple of changes which should hopefully fix that issue, but it'll only really be noticeable once the server's been up again for a couple of days. Most of this is fine tuning some numbers, but there's no real good way of calculating those, so it's a matter of trial and error and finding a balance.

I'm working on adding some additional monitoring to the server, and then add some alarms, so that I automatically get an email if for example CPU or RAM usage is over 80% for an extended period of time.

There's a lot to go through, and I'm also seeing some strange errors in the logs which I need to research, so in the coming weeks there will likely be the occasional little bit of downtime, but this should never be more than a few minutes at most.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

I've noticed that the "next unread post" no longer has the post title at the bottom right of the screen  (in the desktop web view).  Not a big deal but something I noticed.

Martijn Meerts

Hmm.. Might be something they removed in the forum software update we did, but I'm not sure. I've never used the option myself, so didn't really notice it.

It might be something related to the theme as well. Have you tried switching to the default forum theme ("Invision community") at the bottom of the page? If it's still visible in the default theme, I can have a look at our custom theme to see if I can fix it, but if it's not visible in the default theme either, they might have removed the option, or put it behind some setting in the forum's config settings.

4 hours ago, Martijn Meerts said:

Hmm.. Might be something they removed in the forum software update we did, but I'm not sure. I've never used the option myself, so didn't really notice it.

It might be something related to the theme as well. Have you tried switching to the default forum theme ("Invision community") at the bottom of the page? If it's still visible in the default theme, I can have a look at our custom theme to see if I can fix it, but if it's not visible in the default theme either, they might have removed the option, or put it behind some setting in the forum's config settings.

I use the default theme, not the custom theme, and it is missing.   No big deal.  I only used it occasionally.

Martijn Meerts

Ah right, kinda strange they'd remove a feature like that really, but then again, I haven't had the time to keep up with all the updates in detail, so maybe they have good reasons for it ..