Event Day at the Sydney Tramway Museum 8th December

marknewton

On Sunday 8th December the Sydney Tramway Museum will have a special running day to commemorate the 120th anniversary of the opening of the first permanent electric tramway in Sydney, the George Street line. We have two of the original C class single-truck saloon cars that ran on the line for the opening, and they'll be in traffic on the day. We'll also be running another typical early George St car, F class No.393, which dates from 1901. As a bonus attraction I'll have the steam tram No.1A out on display as well. The Motorlife Museum of Wollongong will be bringing some veteran cars for display on Tramway Avenue. The museum will open at 1000am, and cars will run until 400pm. You can get there by public transport - the museum is next door to Loftus railway station.

On the same day Sydney Trains will be hosting a small event at Cronulla station to commemorate the 80th anniversary of the opening of the Sutherland to Cronulla branch, which replaced the steam tramway between the two suburbs. We'll have our AEC double deck bus there to transport guests to the museum at the conclusion of the event.

It should be a good day, so if you're in Sydney come along to Loftus and say g'day!

All the best,

Mark.

49126961727_e1ab17a803_k_d.jpg

C class car No.29, one of the original George Street cars. 

Edited by marknewton
  • Like 2

It is a bit of a trek from the UK so I won't make this open day but I'm determined to make a diversion at some point from one of my work trips to Melbourne.

• Like 1