JR Kyushu announces new excursion train 36 + 3

Yavianice

http://tetsudo-shimbun.com/headline/entry-1886.html

Looks like the bastard child of the 7 stars and a 787. Too bad that all seats will be green car, so (I think) you cannot use it with a standard JR pass. 

It's an excursion train that goes to different areas in Kyushu, but does not offer overnight trips. Will also include a buffet car (that the 787 used to feature in the past).

Planned to start running in fall 2020

Edited by Yavianice
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m feeling steampunk meets japan. Kind of feeling like different designers on each car and they all were not quite sure what it all was to be. Nice stuff just a bit of a lot of things thrown in there.

jeff

I saw this on local news the other day. As it has tatami flooring, you have to take your shoes off. 

Another design from Eiji Mitooka who apparently designed the 787. He’s designed the new interior which hints at some of the details of Kyushu also found on the 7 stars. 

I also read somewhere that the name comes from Kyushu being the 36th largest island, the 3 comes from the want that passengers, locals and railway become one. Also that 3,9 (36+3) in Japanese sounds like Thank you. (San Kyu)

• Like 1

Overall very nicely done! Love the use of eames bent plywood on the chairs, really nice. Heavy raw leather pouches feels a little too heavy, lighter suppler leather would have blended with the bent plywood better and felt a bit softer visually. Tables are really lovely, well done, they nailed the marine table space savings and use of heavy layer plywood. Laser etched plywood overhead is also nice.

The fiber glass doors and lockers are nicely smooth and nice curves and nice colors.

Shoji screens are a nice visual, but block so much of the window! Designer wanted you only being inside, not looking outside! 

Only really awkward thing is the window frames, just out of character and way too heavy for the small space. Could have done a marine moulding that is more designed for tighter spaces physically and visually.

ekiben, well to die for...

review by jeff 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1