Just a smudge of graffiti on dutch trains

Yavianice

@railsquid @VJM @ben_issacs

Very sorry forgot to embed the wikipedia image of what the train looks like normally.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c7/VIRM6.jpg/2560px-VIRM6.jpg 

picture from wikipedia, made by user Willem_90 on wikipedia

The whole train is covered in graffiti, from top to bottom, both the black and silver parts, windows, doors...

• Sad 1
9 minutes ago, marknewton said:

This is why graffiti vandals should be shot on sight - pour encourager les autres.

Bit harsh - for a first offence I suggest publishing the address of the offender's residence and creating a legal basis for opening it up as a communal art space so interested members of the public can redecorate it according to their own creative preferences.

Repeat offenders could be exhibited in a gibbet dangling in front of their excrescences.

Its not harsh. I've run over and killed three of these idiots since I transferred back to suburban trains, and I nearly got a fourth earlier this evening. 

• Sad 2

Railsquid, I apologise for being so blunt in my last post. I'd relinquished duty after nearly hitting a graffiti vandal, and I was really worked up. Again, my apologies. 

All the best,

Mark.

Mark, 

im so sorry this is such a nasty thing you have to deal with on a daily basis. Much worse than the vandalism is the effect it can have on the driver and the real thing they should be punished for.

jeff

Yavanice,

Are you saying that that yellow set is completely covered with silver paint with black patches?

This seems a bit unlikely, surely!

Bill, 

Melbourne.

On 11/17/2019 at 11:56 PM, marknewton said:

Its not harsh. I've run over and killed three of these idiots since I transferred back to suburban trains, and I nearly got a fourth earlier this evening. 

Ouch, in that case not harsh at all. I am merely someone interested in trains with no operational experience, but it riles me up every time I see a report about some "artist" being mourned by the "community" because the train operating company had the temerity to run a few hundred tonnes of train through what they appear to have considered their own personal art studio, but no-one gives a a second thought to the people who actually have to deal with the incident.

• Like 1
On 11/17/2019 at 3:56 PM, marknewton said:

On 11/18/2019 at 4:37 PM, railsquid said:

Ouch, in that case not harsh at all. I am merely someone interested in trains with no operational experience, but it riles me up every time I see a report about some "artist" being mourned by the "community" because the train operating company had the temerity to run a few hundred tonnes of train through what they appear to have considered their own personal art studio, but no-one gives a a second thought to the people who actually have to deal with the incident.

An actual more viable solution (wich also has a legal basis, atleast here in Italy) would be to have these vandals sentenced to 3/6 months of "community service" - and by meaning "community service" it means "clean up your crap" (washing products to be bought by the vandals themselves).

Problem is, nowdays almost no railway companies have not enough balls to go and get these criminals.

And sometimes they make up ridiculous excuses: a couple years ago, ATAC (Rome's municipal transportation bureau, wich is laughed at for being the worst transportation company not only in Italy, but probably in all of europe) affirmed that "it does not seek to prosecute "graffiti artists" because it would tarnish the company's reputation(because running trains like this apparently is acceptable)

Problem is also people coming up to defend these "street/rebel/alternative/whatever artists".

While objectively some graffitis are acceptable, i honestly think that the definition of graffiti as "art" is only up to the owner of the wall (or train) on wich they're painted on.

Edited by Socimi
On 11/18/2019 at 7:07 PM, ben_issacs said:

Yavanice,

Are you saying that that yellow set is completely covered with silver paint with black patches?

This seems a bit unlikely, surely!

Bill, 

Melbourne.

Bill,

The entire train is painted, head to toe.

It is still the standard NS livery (blue and yellow) underneath!

I wish all the people involved in painting this train a painful death.

Still a bit confused - did some vandals paint it all over metallic silver, or did the railway company do that to cover up more colourful vandal smearings?

12 hours ago, railsquid said:

Still a bit confused - did some vandals paint it all over metallic silver, or did the railway company do that to cover up more colourful vandal smearings?

The video title and description:

NS VIRM under the graffiti.
That will again cost a lot of money to get it clean. If the perpetrator is not caught, the traveler pays the cleaning costs.

Graffiti vandals did the whole lot.

still not clear what the graffit was and what bits are covered up from the title and description. But from yaviance it sounds like  the whole blue yellow paint scheme was graffitied and then painted over black and silver for now.

jeff

It’s not painted over. It’s all graffiti. Actually it seems this is an “artist” that has previously covered trains in this “paint scheme”. 

see for example here (halfway down the page)

http://www.nicospilt.com/index_graffiti.htm

The type of graffiti paint that is used is also a corrosive mixture so it cannot be easily washed off, and Perpetrators are hardly if ever caught. Tagging usually happens at night at the rolling stock depot.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, cteno4 said:

still not clear what the graffit was and what bits are covered up from the title and description. But from yaviance it sounds like  the whole blue yellow paint scheme was graffitied and then painted over black and silver for now.

jeff

The. Whole. Train. Is. Covered. In. Graffiti.

Many silver spray cans were used.

Maybe a few black spray cans.

There was no employee intervention... what you see on the train is ALL graffiti.

Edited by stevenh

So the silver and black is the graffiti! Now I get it (and squid I expect as well). Usually use to seeing regular tagging not solid colors and usually solid colors here are indicative of owner covering up graffiti fast. Interesting take on graffiti...

jeff