Hello From Minnesota

MattJS

Hi my names Matt. I love japanese stuff and  I just bit the bullet(pun intended) and ordered a Tomix basic starter kit (N700-1000 Series N700A Nozomi 90174).  I also picked up a Kato Unitram V50 Basic set, 2 Kato power units and a couple Kato Centram Trams.  I currently have a 5ft by 8ft table/area but that can be expanded as needed.  Still havent totally figured out my layout yet but going for a heavy city look.  Still in the planning phase as I await my stuff from Hobbysearch and Ebay.  I love to take Pics  of 1/12 scale action figures and Godzilla Figures. Thats what got me down the train path lol.  Anyways looking forward to learning about this wonderful hobby.  Have a Great Day guys!

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum Matt.

I've been running live steam outdoors for about 10 years, but branched out into N scale T-Trak about a year ago. Started with Kato Santa Fe Super Chief starter set which led me to look at other Kato products. My first Japanese train was the Kato N700A and its starting to snowball from there. The shinkansens run OK on the starter set track, but are much happier on the larger radius curves. Of course space requirements grow with increasing radius. My temporary layout consists of 4 - 6 foot banquet tables which gives me a 5 x 12 area with a simple folded dogbone using the KATO 447/480 double track curves. Used AnyRail software for the track plan.

shinkfoldeddogbone.thumb.jpg.a1d920cfa6adec58aeb7250337923b5f.jpg

Roger

Welcome, Matt! I’m a relative newbie myself but I have a few months experience so I’ll be happy to help if I can. See you around the forums!

Welcome matt! Glad you found the madhouse here!

get some track and start playing as it will help you decide what you like and don’t like and aid in planning. You and stay loose for a long time playing and just plunking down buildings and scenery bits to try ideas out before getting too locked in.

you'll find a lot of goji fans here. He’s our Japanese train club’s mascot!

http://japanrailmodelers.org/images/goji150.jpg

http://japanrailmodelers.org/photos/_goji/index.html

cheers

jeff

Matt

Another good source for trains is Amazon Japan (amazon.co.jp) I usually check the boxes for International Shipping Available and Amazon.co.jp as the Seller to keep it simple  Shipped by Amazon Global Shipping (DHL) in about a week. My quickest was 2 days! Shipping cost is reasonable, although large packages, such as sets, are more because of the size. It's all itemized before submitting the order.

For example, ordered a KATO 10-503-1 - Pocket Line Series Steam Locomotive today (think Xmas) cost was $39.28 and shipping was $6.65.

Since you're getting a Tomix starter set, you''ll be starting with Tomix Fine Track, but Kato Unitrack is more available in the US since the N-scale T-Trak standards specify the Kato track for the modules. Both are high quality and the trains don't care. An adapter track is available to join them , I believe. 

Trains are often sold with a basic set and add on sets. Make sure you are getting the one with motor unit as it is not always obvious. If you are not sure, go to ModelTrainPlus and enter the item number in the search box. If they have it listed, it will tell whether a motor unit is included and whether it is DCC ready (i.e., plug and play). If you think you might go DCC in the future, you should probably go with Kato because they are making more progress in that direction. Mainly in their passenger sets.

About AnyRail, you can download a trial version for free and use it as long as you like. Only limitation is no more 50 track pieces in your plan. If you like it, it costs $59 for the unlimited license. Actually kind of addictive ... lol

Roger

22 hours ago, RogerK said:

Matt

Another good source for trains is Amazon Japan (amazon.co.jp) I usually check the boxes for International Shipping Available and Amazon.co.jp as the Seller to keep it simple  Shipped by Amazon Global Shipping (DHL) in about a week. My quickest was 2 days! Shipping cost is reasonable, although large packages, such as sets, are more because of the size. It's all itemized before submitting the order.

For example, ordered a KATO 10-503-1 - Pocket Line Series Steam Locomotive today (think Xmas) cost was $39.28 and shipping was $6.65.

Since you're getting a Tomix starter set, you''ll be starting with Tomix Fine Track, but Kato Unitrack is more available in the US since the N-scale T-Trak standards specify the Kato track for the modules. Both are high quality and the trains don't care. An adapter track is available to join them , I believe. 

Trains are often sold with a basic set and add on sets. Make sure you are getting the one with motor unit as it is not always obvious. If you are not sure, go to ModelTrainPlus and enter the item number in the search box. If they have it listed, it will tell whether a motor unit is included and whether it is DCC ready (i.e., plug and play). If you think you might go DCC in the future, you should probably go with Kato because they are making more progress in that direction. Mainly in their passenger sets.

About AnyRail, you can download a trial version for free and use it as long as you like. Only limitation is no more 50 track pieces in your plan. If you like it, it costs $59 for the unlimited license. Actually kind of addictive ... lol

Roger

Hey thanks for the info Roger.  I like the Double track layout u have in your other post here.  This is the set I got.  https://www.tomytec.co.jp/tomix/products/n/90174.html