add tax

jappomania

Hi to everyone!

I'm just curious, I would know how much you pay in add tax for every shipping.

That's because sometime I see strange price on ebay and train model shops

for example in Italy I pay 20% add tax (VAT) if the value is over 50 USD (it's strange, I pay in euro and the limit is in dollar, bah...) + 5.80 euros fees for every box (handling and document)

I would know your situation....

ciao

Massimo

VAT is 19% in Germany. Didn't see any additional fees for the moment.

Thouth I had one time a problem, the custom calculate the VAT on the total price of the shipping (price of the item + shipping fee). It didn't add up to much but now I know I have to pay attention.

I'm not always charged tax. It depends on the value of the order and whether there is an exempt item like a book or magazine (which actually is taxable but usually gets listed as a book on the declaration) in the order.GST is 5% and PST is 8% for a total of 13%. Plus $9 administration for EMS, $5 for other parcels. But if you are not charged you do not pay administration.

SAL is usually zero.

alpineaustralia

Goods and Services tax (GST) in Australia is 10% but I have not seen anyone on ebay charginging. Under Australian law GST is not payable on exports out of Australia. For Australian buyers, the seller is responsible for paying the GST to the Government and so it does not matter if they give you a price including the GST or not.

Martijn Meerts

25% in Norway on anything above approx. 25 euro. 35% on any clothing articles.

Plus another 15 to 20 euro for the customs per package in administration cost (including if you don't have to pay taxes....)

VAT is 19% in Germany. Didn't see any additional fees for the moment.

Thouth I had one time a problem, the custom calculate the VAT on the total price of the shipping (price of the item + shipping fee). It didn't add up to much but now I know I have to pay attention.

I forgot,

the tax is calculate from the total value (items+shipping) and you can't split the value so I pay 20% more for shipping cost (obviously only EMS if you will be sure to recive the box, 30-35% of SAL shipping is lost or broken), this is not so strange in Italy, for example we pay the tax for garbage + VAT (one tax on a tax) :grin or maybe is better  :crybaby2:   and the situation still not so "clean", remember Napoli the past year???

ciao

Massimo

Martijn Meerts

But remember they can't tax our happiness once we have the trains!!  :grin

Don't say that too loud, they might come up with something for that too ;)

Maybe I'm confused, but don't a lot of the VAT taxes from some countries get credited to your account?  I know that a US citizen buying in Canada could (or used to) get the rebate, shops all over the UK promote this, and a recent order from a German hobby shop resulted in the 19% VAT being refunded to me.

Martijn Meerts

Depends.. Usually the store itself will subtract the taxes. For example, if I buy from Japan Model Railways in Germany, he'll sell the items to me for the listed price, minus 19% tax. Once it arrives in Norway, 25% gets added, which I have to pay when I pick up the package.

However, if I order from Japan, I pay the listed price. The customs in Norway *SHOULD* figure out how much taxes I paid, and then tell me how much I need to pay on that of that. Say for example, Japan has 20% taxes, I would have to pay 5% extra. However, the Norwegian customs just have me pay the standard 25%...

Guess it'll be better in a few weeks, when I'm back in the Netherlands =)

Depends.. Usually the store itself will subtract the taxes. For example, if I buy from Japan Model Railways in Germany, he'll sell the items to me for the listed price, minus 19% tax. Once it arrives in Norway, 25% gets added, which I have to pay when I pick up the package.

However, if I order from Japan, I pay the listed price. The customs in Norway *SHOULD* figure out how much taxes I paid, and then tell me how much I need to pay on that of that. Say for example, Japan has 20% taxes, I would have to pay 5% extra. However, the Norwegian customs just have me pay the standard 25%...

Guess it'll be better in a few weeks, when I'm back in the Netherlands =)

I believe Japanese VAT is 5%.  English language Japanese web stores usually quote prices with the tax removed. Look in Japanese language pages and I am sure you will see the tax stated separately or included the price.

At HS, The Kato red TLR0601 is 9500 Yen List.  On the English (export site) the sales price is 8550 Yen. On the Japanese language (dosmestic) site it is 9975 List and the sales price 8678 Yen.  The Japanese price is list plus 5% VAT: 9,500 x 1.05 = 9975.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10100318

http://www.1999.co.jp/10100318

In France, it's nearly 20%.

If the custom declaration is handwritten, the package just pass through without VAT or anything. And they leave it at the local post office. No receipt, nothing to say that the shipment is arrived. I just have Internet tracking (last one come to France, wait for 15 days and return to Japan)

But if the seller print the custom declaration, then, a chronopost employee come to your home to reclaim about 20% VAT and 18€.  If you are at work, they come a second time. I think the employee get a % on the 18€... :grin

That's why I buy mainly at Plaza. Maybe I should ask HobbySearch to handwrite the custom declaration just for me  :cheesy

In my country.  You have to pay the 13% in sales taxes if the product is $30 or higher.  For gift, the amount will be $60 or higher. Plus $5-8 processing fees.

So a lot of time, Plaza or Eurolok are my top choice even though they are not the cheapest in price.

CaptOblivious

In the US, there is no import duty or tax on model trains (or any kind of toy; model trains qualify as "reduced-size toy" or something equally ridiculous sounding). W00t!

VAT rate in Switzerland is 7.6 %.

While the tax rate is low the service charges of Swisspost are steep: USD 34.33 (SwissFrancs 35) for all EMS Parcels, the service charge for SAL is around half of the EMS charge.

This is another reason why I reduced my spending at Hobby Search and moved to HW Japan. SAL costs only half of EMS on the Japanese and Swiss sides and the packages arrive within 10 to 16 days. If you order a train set for $ 200 and have to pay around $100 for shipping/taxes.... mindless

Of course there are alsways sets I want to have 'at once'. For that Hobby Search and EMS are unbeatable.

PS: 35 Swiss francs equals $ 34.33!!!. What happend to the green back? 35 Swiss francs should be around $ 24.

In the USA it's can be less expensive to buy "out of state" than in the state you live in.

A large retail store, Trainland is only 40 minutes away from where I live in New York, but it will actually cost me less to order out of state from a retailer like MB Klein located in Maryland.

Here is how I look at it, if I order from MB Klein, all I have to pay for is the shipping, no state sales tax. If get something from Trainland, not only will I have to pay the NY state sales tax but the cost of gas to drive there. (Or if I don't want to travel, I'll have NYState tax and shipping fees) 

In the US, there is no import duty or tax on model trains (or any kind of toy; model trains qualify as "reduced-size toy" or something equally ridiculous sounding). W00t!

That's until I believe you hit X amount of dollars. It use to be $400.

In the USA it's can be less expensive to buy "out of state" than in the state you live in.

A large retail store, Trainland is only 40 minutes away from where I live in New York, but it will actually cost me less to order out of state from a retailer like MB Klein located in Maryland.

Here is how I look at it, if I order from MB Klein, all I have to pay for is the shipping, no state sales tax. If get something from Trainland, not only will I have to pay the NY state sales tax but the cost of gas to drive there. (Or if I don't want to travel, I'll have NYState tax and shipping fees) 

NY State tax is not that bad, but NYC added in is the killer. Of course as of last year I thought Nationally you had to pay your states tax for internet orders. I recall Bob (owner of RACS (animecornerstore.com) getting all and that he had to try and figure out how to bill for tax and pay that tax to each state when orders came in. I beleive the law has always been that you are responsible for claiming and paying any tax from out of state purchases on your taxes, though this of course is purely on the honor system.