Yahoo Groups closing

cteno4

Yahoo groups will be shutting down in December 14. Sad after 18 years. But it was great run and really got a lot of groups started, including the forum here. I used it for many work projects as well as a quick way to coordinate email threads, files and events with small production groups. It even beat google as their attempt at groups went down in flames at a time when yahoo was in bad financial troubles, sort of showed they got it right and pretty kick ass to kick google’s ass. Neo was a bit of a disaster as they wanted to convert what groups was (and did well) into a more mainline social media platform. That failed quickly along with them then pretty much abandoning the platform at that point, while what was left of yahoo swirled there bowl. Unfortunate as pre neo they still had a strong niche market that if advertised right could have done well with minimal fixing and face lifting. But it was that grab for the brass ring and “change for change sake” that so easily kills something that just works and has a stong niche audience and little direct competition. Most of the migration from groups to social media’s was due to neo being a disaster and yahoo ignoring groups.

anyhow at least there is groups.io that replicated the basic features of yahoo groups in more modern and just functional style. It’s a freemium business model but a viable solution to have an option of groups functionality. Many groups have moved over to it and I hope it maintains the concept as it’s still a very powerful solution to a lot of group needs that doesn’t require a lot of know how or resources.

farewell yahoo groups.

cheers

jeff

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My local train club moved over to groups.io recently, its been very helpful for organizing events and keeping everyone on the same page.  Seems Yahoo is shutting down quite a lot of services recently, they shut down Geocities back in march which a lot of small Japanese hobby sites used.  I'm sure new ones will pop up, but its always sad to see them go.

Yeah we used yahoo groups very effectively for JRM for the first 12 years until signing into yahoo became a problem for some with yahoo.

geocities was really popular in japan. Yahoo auctions japan will hopefully go on as it’s not part of the Verizon sale.

jeff

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, cteno4 said:

geocities was really popular in japan. Yahoo auctions japan will hopefully go on as it’s not part of the Verizon sale.

Yahoo Japan is an entirely separate entity, it's now basically part of the Softbank conglomerate and just licenses the Yahoo! brand name.

• Like 1

Yep luckily it stayed with SoftBank with the altaba spin off and away by the final spiral. At least I was able to make money when the altaba spinoff happened...

us yahoo missed the boat, except for groups which remained strong but they just ignored capitalizing on the bird in the hand and were always searching for the two in the bush.

jeff 

Its the end of an era - Yahoo Groups is closing down, as from 15th December 2020 it will no longer be possible to use their discussion forums

During 2019 Yahoo shutdown the group functions apart from emails, now Yahoo is shutting down the email function too.

https://uk.help.yahoo.com/kb/SLN35505.html

Edited by bill937ca

Figured that was soon to happen. Huge exodus when they closed down services, practically nothing left and also issues with managing them.

oh well, at least groups.io is doing well it seems. No major hiccups so far with them. Most of the small member issues I’ve had with some members on groups I manage have been user issues with things being a little different in groups.io membership and just things laid out very simply now. It really is very functional and clean.

seemed like yahoo could have made a lot more in advertising if they just worked at it better and could have charged premiums for more file space, etc. I think most of groups.io is now run by one guy with a little side help when needed. They just never figured out what they wanted to evolve into except a social media platform and that was not groups! 

jeff