Sleep next to the railroad tracks at the closest hotel to a train station platform in Japan

Folks, 

The JR Mets Tabata Hotel in Tokyo  overlooks the throat of the Tabata yard, the Tohoku Shinkansen and JR Tabata station.

The first floor (second floor US) breakfast room has a counter all along the railside  with windows looking onto the tracks, one can sit there scoffing a good buffet brekky and watching the Shinkansens, occasional freights and pass. and JR subbies go by.

Regards, 

Bill, 

Melbourne.

• Like 4
On 10/19/2019 at 7:14 PM, ben_issacs said:

The first floor (second floor US) breakfast room has a counter all along the railside  with windows looking onto the tracks, one can sit there scoffing a good buffet brekky and watching

Actually in Japan, Ground Floor = 1st Floor (US) = 1F (Japan).  

European (and obviously Australian) usage is First Floor is the one above Ground Floor but in my experience (and from Googling just now), Japan follows US usage.

42 minutes ago, chadbag said:

European (and obviously Australian) usage is First Floor is the one above Ground Floor but in my experience (and from Googling just now), Japan follows US usage.

That is the case, so assuming Ben means "first floor" in the European/Australian sense, the room he was eating breakfast in was labelled "2F" in the elevator so would be the second floor in the US as well.

• Like 1

Jr 500 series,

JR Tabata Mets is a long, narrow building, one side faces the railways, the other side faces a road, so bedrooms on the railway side look out over the tracks, but far enough away to be generally free of noise with the window shut.

Regards, 

Bill,

Melbourne.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, ben_issacs said:

Jr 500 series,

JR Tabata Mets is a long, narrow building, one side faces the railways, the other side faces a road, so bedrooms on the railway side look out over the tracks, but far enough away to be generally free of noise with the window shut.

Regards, 

Bill,

Melbourne.

Thanks Bill! Yes that hotel is in my radar and will be one of the hotels I MUST stay in the next time I go to Tokyo!  🙂