RossDensha

ATO to be introduced on the Joban Line Local

RossDensha

By the end of 2020 JR East plans to have ATO (Automatic Train Operation) on the Joban Line (Local) between Ayase and Toride where there is already ATC.

They're hoping that it will help develop autonomous trains.

Platform doors will also be installed after the introduction of ATO, which will increase safety on this line.

JR East Press Release here:

https://www.jreast.co.jp/press/2019/20191008_ho03.pdf

• Like 2

Socimi

I think it's for "operational continuity", as the Chiyoda subway line (wich has inter-running services on the Joban Line past Ayase up to Toride) is already equipped with ATO (and so do all the trains using the line, including JR East's E233-2000s).

• Like 1

Yavianice

But not all stations on the Chiyoda line have platform doors. So it's not a requirement, I guess?

railsquid
3 hours ago, Yavianice said:

But not all stations on the Chiyoda line have platform doors. So it's not a requirement, I guess?

They will do by 2020.

• Like 1

Socimi
9 hours ago, Yavianice said:

For ATO?

They aren't only if it's a manned ATO operation (GoA3 - "push the button and go").

They are mandatory instead for fully driverless trains (Linimo in Nagoya and AGTs such as the Yurikamome, Nippori-Toneri Liner...)

• Like 1

trainsforever8

Will drivers still be on board?

Socimi
7 hours ago, trainsforever8 said:

Will drivers still be on board?

Yes - GoA3 operation

Keihan 800 series - Kyoto Municipal Subway Tozai Line.

Note how the driver only has to press the two white "ATO start" buttons instead of operating the master controller.

Given that this is a one-man train, he also has to open and close doors (wich is usually done by the Conductor in the rear cab).

Edited by Socimi
  • Like 2