Extremely Humungous Typhoon Number 19

Even though I'm not a great fan of modern trains, it make me sad seeing these cars being prepped for scrapping.

Mark.

YouTube (and JNS Forum) member Ayokoi just released a zenmen tenbou video of a special service run by JR Central 313 Series train set between Fuji Station and Kōfu Station on the Minobu Line when the Chuo Main Line was temporarily out of service after the typhoon:

• Like 3

I can think of one possible reason - there's nowhere on the nose of these cars to attach the end-of-train markers, so one half of the train is reversed to have an intermediate car trailing. 

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 1

I think the question is, how do you get both end of the train facing the same direction. 

And I think the answer is that you use a triangular junction. 

8 hours ago, katoftw said:

Or take the front half of one unit and the front half of another unit.

Yes, that's what I would I would have imagined.

11 hours ago, Sheffie said:

And I think the answer is that you use a triangular junction. 

9 hours ago, marknewton said:

Or a balloon loop. 

Thanks, I was not looking for hypotheticals 🙂 Maybe my question was too vague, let me rephrase it: How would they go about reversing half of these Shinkansens? I can't imagine that there is plenty – is there even any? – reversing loops or triangular junctions on the Shinkansen lines.

Edited by disturbman
23 minutes ago, disturbman said:

Thanks, I was not looking for hypotheticals 🙂 Maybe my question was too vague, let me rephrase it: How would they go about reversing half of these Shinkansens? I can't imagine that there is plenty – is there even any? – reversing loops or triangular junctions on the Shinkansen lines.

As far as I know, there aren't any.

Folks,

Saw some recent info from JR East on the costs caused by this typhoon..

Service cancellations, etc. $146 million;

Closure of shops etc. at stations; $28 million;

Track repairs and repairs to flooded stations; $155 million;

Loss of ten Shinkansen sets, $108 million, 

Total: $436 million!

Whew!!

Regards, 

Bill, 

Melbourne.

• Sad 2

Some pics if Shimonumabe Koen that was flooded by Typhoon # 19 last October. This park is just north of Mukaigawara Station on the Nambu Line. The tracks run next to the park and it is about 400 meters from the Tama River.

jMl800P.jpg

Flood damage to this park taken on 16 Oct 19, about a week after Typhoon #19 aka Hagibis. The Tama River overflowed and flooded a part of Kawasaki City south of Musashi-Kosugi Station. This park is next to the Nambu Line and just north Mukaigawara Station. The Nambu line is behind the camera and the Tama River is the opposite way about 400 meters away from the camera. North of Musashi-Kosugi Station showed little flood damage that I could see.

rS21FvQ.jpg

The mud line on the tree shows how high the water rose.

kktfV0M.jpg

Most of the ground level buildings in this area were flooded.

K7U6TBC.jpg

qqixOJz.jpg

The Nambu Line is to the right. You can just about make out the discoloration on the fence from the muddy water. The park is just ahead next to the people.

60cffM2.jpg

Apparently the raised track prevented the flood waters from going to the other side. There was very little discoloration on the other side.

gVLtkfU.jpg

BLezAHC.jpg

18 Dec 19 all signs of the flood damage is gone.

pTWBkun.jpg

6 Feb 2020

Y9YFHfi.jpg

Even the trees are back to normal.

eAszXUQ.jpg

Grant

Edited by gmat
  • Like 5
On 10/16/2019 at 1:44 PM, Yavianice said:

Repair of the Hakone Tozan Railway will take a long time, at least not finished by the end of the year. This link also has a video of showing some damaged parts of the Hakone Tozan railway.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/20191016/k10012134811000.html

On 11/26/2019 at 3:02 AM, bill937ca said:

The Hakone Tozan Railway will be restored in the fall of 2020, and the entire Hachinohe Line and Abukuma Express Marumori-Yuki will resume in December Typhoon No. 19

Japanese language article.

https://response.jp/article/2019/11/22/329057.html

Seems Hakone Tozan will reopen slightly ahead of schedule, already in end of July 2020. 

They will also install new information displays in multiple languages on the Hakone stations for departing trains. And a new viewpoint on the ropeway will also be opened this summer. 

Furthermore for the 60th anniversary they are installing new jingles in all sorts of things owned by the Hakone/Odakyu railway, such as the Romancecars, Hakone Tozan Railway trains, train stations, and even the pirate ship, which vary on the time of day. A total of 32 new songs are composed for it, if google translate can be trusted.

Read all about it here in Japanese: https://www.odakyu.jp/news/o5oaa1000001pmwn-att/o5oaa1000001pmwu.pdf

Edited by Yavianice
  • Like 3