Okinawa Monorail replaced La Coupe remote controlled incline platforms for wheelchairs with fixed platforms.

gmat

This always baffles me, why aren't the platforms level with the floors?  I've seen some trains that boast reduced step up, but still not level.

Most platformed transit, maybe all, that I've ridden in the US is level, and they all date to before people cared about wheelchairs.

Edited by EdF
bikkuri bahn
On 9/30/2019 at 7:31 PM, EdF said:

This always baffles me, why aren't the platforms level with the floors?  I've seen some trains that boast reduced step up, but still not level.

Most platformed transit, maybe all, that I've ridden in the US is level, and they all date to before people cared about wheelchairs.

Number of points:

1. In Japan, rolling stock and platforms are built to clearances which allow a deal of leeway to prevent collisions/scraping for intrusions into the loading gauge.  This is a requirement for reliable operation on heavily traficked lines with differing platform curvatures, rolling stock from different railways interlining, etc.

2. Given that curved platforms still present a gap even when the rolling stock floor is level with the platform, able bodied people tend to accidentally fall into the gap more than if there is a slight step up- once again, presenting an increased chance of service disruption.

3. The perfect non-gap boarding is most feasible on closed metro systems/rubber tired people movers with standard stock and station platforms, these exist in Japan, but more common is the complex legacy systems where total compliance is highly problematic.  Better for both safety and operational reliability to have station staff attend to wheelchair users, especially in the crowded, headway dense conditions found in metropolitan Japan.