Nov. 9th and 10th, Eresing (Bavaria), Germany, 16th annual Model Railway Days

martin67

Hi everybody,

this is for all, who are staying in Southern Germany in early November (or live there anyway). We will have our 16th annual Model Railway Days in 86922 Eresing (approx. 40kms west of Munich) on 9th and 10th of November 2019. 

-many nice layouts 

-a big swapmeet (train market)

-good bavarian food and beverages

-Free Entry!

35748600yo.jpg

I'm one of the exhibitors (so whoever wants to check out who I am, please go ahead and come), showing my Italian layout "Valditaro" and the japanese MAGLEV "Linear Liner" on a running setup.

Martin

• Like 3

Sounds like fun! Please post some pictures of the event, always fun to see trains shows around the world!

what mag lev are you using?

jeff

Hi Jeff,

it's the one that works like the "real thing" from Takara Tomy.

23747898ix.jpg

23747875fu.jpg

It's the fourth year now that I bring this train to this show, and it turned out to be a big hit with both children and their parents. Children love the speed of the train and adults are very interrested, how this thing works.

Martin

@martin67 Thank you for sharing! I will be able to go here! If your layout is N-Gauge and Analogue, I could even bring a train or two in case you are interested and let me (and the weather is good on that day because I have to walk from the station).

Sounds good! You're from the area? Unfortunately my layout is HO (but analogue). From Geltendorf station it's a 30 minutes walk to the show, unfortunately we have no public transport or bus shuttle (bring your bicycle 😊...).

Martin

Martin,

thanks! The motion generator is not a linear induction, correct? I thought it was some wheels in the station that gave it momentum.

jeff

I have no bike or bus. So I'll walk. Half an hour is no issue. I will go unless it's terrible weather. Not sure yet which day, but I assume you will be there both days?

And I don't have HO. But that doesn't matter.

18 hours ago, cteno4 said:

Martin,

thanks! The motion generator is not a linear induction, correct? I thought it was some wheels in the station that gave it momentum.

jeff

The motion generator is a linear induction, indeed. The wheels in the station are only sort of a mechanical stopping-mechanism, as the train won't be able to stop once it runs. You can see two types of permanent magnets in the tracks, dots in the middle and long strips on each side. The strips keep the train above ground (hovering). The train itself has electric magnets in the bottom, which are switched on and off in a certain sequence. These and the permanent dots in the trackbed create the motion. The train has small wheels on each side to reduce resistance in the curves. 

23747881uo.jpg

23747882lw.jpg

The wheels in the station are set back during the running session, so the train won't touch them. If you want to stop the train, you have to extend the wheels and the train will come to an immediate stop. This doesn't look very nice and it's rather noisy, too. Funny to see people twitch when it stops, saying things like "oh sh..." and other strange words 🙂

Cheers,

Martin

Edited by martin67
  • Thanks 1
16 hours ago, Yavianice said:

I have no bike or bus. So I'll walk. Half an hour is no issue. I will go unless it's terrible weather. Not sure yet which day, but I assume you will be there both days?

And I don't have HO. But that doesn't matter.

I'll be there both days, all day long, running my layouts. You can't miss me, unless I'm quickly off to get some food at lunchtime. And even then, I'm just around the corner in the adjacent restaurant. 

Martin

Ahh thanks Martin! That clears that up. The wheels were confusing and thought it was like the old hot wheels system that used wheels on the side to shoot the cars around the track. It is a fun system, jr central staff here in dc have one and take it to various events to push mag lev. I have my little $50 knockoff that’s like 3’x2’ we use for a display at some shows. Kids love it. It only has mag side rails on the inside so you can see the vertical float gap and slip a business card under it to show it flys over the card.

have fun at the show and post Picts!

cheer,

jeff

Just another four weeks to go! As a special surprise for our visitors I started to reactivate my little T-gauge layout, which I had built a couple of years ago. Will bring it to the show, too.

8741026vuu.jpg

Martin

• Like 1

Martin, that’s great! T is seen so seldomly.

we finally had to give up running T at shows as running our gen 1 and 2 mechs for many hours caused them to really muck up and requiring them to be totally stripped, cleaned and lubed after a day or two of running. For some reason they seemed do get dirtier faster with prolonged running than with shorter usual play sessions on overall run time. A few also would get warm after a couple of hours and would need to be swapped, others stayed cool the whole time. I use to use the spot temp laser meter on them as that was an indicator of them about to get stuttery. Track also gets dirtier faster and I think this is just from them getting warmer and lube oil just coming out more and that with carbon film from any arcing. I use to give the tracks a swipe after every 30-60 min and it would help everything last longer running well (luckily in a small T scale layout that takes like 30 seconds!).

it got a lot of eyeballs at shows, that’s for sure! We use to joke we should have one of those swing arm magnifying glasses over the layout! I’ve always wanted to do a little modular setup with T gauge, it lends itself to some really interesting modular stuff.

i finally got a bit tired cleaning motor units and have not done T at shows for a few years now, I have a gen 3 and 4 motor units that run much nicer with the new custom motors and gear boxes, but not yet tried them on longer runs. the new controller looks nice as well for better running.

I kind of put T aside when the US distributor passed away a few years back who was a good friend and lived nearby. It’s really is fun what you can do with it in a tiny space! One of our club members was making tiny desktop layouts for sale.

you are going to have quite a setup for the show!

cheers

jeff

Hi Jeff,

bought my T-gauge stuff a couple of years ago (around 2011), there was the second generation of models just on the market. Although, I managed to get a 1st generation JR 103 trainset in orange Chuo Line colours, but this is not running properly.

Actually, even if I had my little layout on several train shows, I never tried long running sessions. I ran the trains only for 10 - 15 minutes, thes gave them a break. So, I never experienced dirty wheels and things like that until now. I didn't have confidence in those little motors to let them run for a long time.Despite this, one of my MU motor cars overheated and passed away.

The interrest in those tiny trains was enormous. The press stopped by and did an article, we did comparison pictures with coins and models of other scales and there were loads of people watching the running sessions. 

These days I'm working on the layout, as it used to be rather basic. This year it will look a little bit more prototypical, with trees and tiny people and animals. Looking forward to the show and the reaction of the visitors.

Martin

Martin,

very smart! I should have just run ours when folks stopped in for shorter periods.

usually was crap getting sucked up in the mechs and the tracks not the wheels getting dirty,

at some point with some time I’ll get our t gauge going again for shows as as you found they are really popular! I was always tempted to bring a swing arm magnifying loop to put over the layout! 

cheers

jeff

Bring your family along, there's a lot to see (and to play with). My Maglev is usually run-by-kids, and the food is really good at "Alter Wirt". The best combo for a day out with the family.

Martin

Hi all,

still owe you some pictures. Here we go!

In my eyes the most interresting layout was our newby in Kaltenberg, the Lima Collector's Forum's layout, which had been started by Eric and Christoph a while ago. It was stunning to see all the vintage Lima stuff running and running. Many visitors were astonished, too. Especially, when they realized it's Lima... The layout itself is traditional Italian,but built mailnly with Lima material.

37212195jc.jpg

37212196fi.jpg

37212197fz.jpg

37212198xj.jpg

37212199kc.jpg

37212200dk.jpg

37212201xc.jpg

37212202tf.jpg

37212203bm.jpg

Thanks Christoph and Eric for this wonderful layout, I'll join next year.... promised!

Martin

Edited by martin67
  • Like 1

A little bit of Valditaro... This time with a freelance DR East V360 (rebuilt, based on the Gützold model).

37213036xy.jpg

37213038bs.jpg

37213039yb.jpg

37213040dv.jpg

37213041ny.jpg

37213042qs.jpg

37213043sa.jpg

More coming up!

Martin

Part 3 - Japanese

For a couple of years I bring my MAGLEV train from Japan to the show, the only model of a real linear powered train. It hovers a few millimeters above ground and is magnet powered. The sheer speed of the train is very popular with children, and the advanced technology draws attention of their parents. 

37217333ey.jpg

Another hit was my T-gauge layout. The size of the whole layout is just 60x40cms. The length of a single coach is approx. 2cms. Scale 1/450, just about half Z-scale. I built this layout 7 years ago, when T-gauge was new. For this year I reactivated it again. Guess what? It's extremely popular with women 😊

37217341ow.jpg

37217342dj.jpg

37217343pd.jpg

37217345jv.jpg

37217347mq.jpg

37217349jx.jpg

This is not the end!

Martin

Part 4 - Nostalgia

Rivarossi Tram (also sold by Trix in Germany in the 60's)

37222708vu.jpg

37222711rv.jpg

37222714pr.jpg

Nostalgic Trix Express layout

37222715yx.jpg

37222716tu.jpg

37222718mj.jpg

And something from the modelling courses - Bridges and tunnels in various sizes

37222720lb.jpg

37222722tv.jpg

37222723fh.jpg

Not ready yet :-)

Martin

• Like 1

"Bügelburg"

Nm scale (1/160 narrow gauge) built on an ironing board. The buildings are made of paper, the bus (also paper) has a wirking Car System mechanism.

37225906gr.jpg

The tables (etched brass) deserve a closer look!

37225907xy.jpg

37225908os.jpg

37225909pj.jpg

37225910jo.jpg

37225911jr.jpg

"Queensbridge"

This 00-scale layout (1/76) is a classic in Kaltenberg and received a new mountain with turning loop this year.

37225912nm.jpg

37225913us.jpg

H0 DC Pendular Layout

37225915pb.jpg

37225917hx.jpg

37225918sp.jpg

Martin

Länderbahnen

This is a modular layout themed in Bavaria in the late 19th Century. It's extremely lovely, with hundreds and hundreds of details, although the builder used Märklin K-Track (unfortunately), which looks much too massive. This layout was shown in Kaltenberg a couple of times and still growing. The trains are from an era long time before the well known Bavarian Engines, an era rarely seen as a model.

37229584rv.jpg

37229587bu.jpg

37229597qc.jpg

37229602fs.jpg

37229605dt.jpg

37229606cr.jpg

37229608ki.jpg

37229609vk.jpg

Another old time layout, this time with Prussian rolling stock. The Bavarian clothes of the people won't fit too well, although the small layout is rather lovely.

37229611bf.jpg

37229613vb.jpg

37229614af.jpg

37229615pb.jpg

One more coming up!

Martin