“Departures” movie

marknewton

A mate of mine at work suggested I watch this film. It looks interesting, but I can’t work out where it was filmed and what the railcars are. Any ideas?

Cheers,

Mark.

There are quite a few movies called "Departures", out of these, the 2008 film seems to be the best candidate, altough it seems there are no prominent railway vehicles (as a side note, the movie has been filmed in Yamagata).

There's also the "Our Departures" movie from 2018, and as it's the third entry in the "Railways" trilogy (after the 2010 "Railways" and the 2011 "Crossroads") trains have a prominent place (in fact in all three, the main character works for a railway company).

The third movie is set in Kagoshima prefecture on the third-sector Hiatsu Orange Railway, mainly fetauring the railway's HSOR-100 series, an 18m-long DMU with a max.speed of 95Km/h manufactured by Niigata Transys on the "NDC" design.

A total of 19 units (Nos. 101 to 117 with combined longitudinal and cross-seating and Nos. 151-152 with cross-seating only) were manufactured in 2003.

(the two earlier entries in the "Railways" movie series were set on the Ichibata Railway and on the Toyama Chiho Railway)

Edited by Socimi
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1