History of Japanese Train Stations Videos.

Tomodachi Mike

Tomodachi Mike

I though I would start this thread about videos which details the history of Japanese train stations. Form their early beginnings to the mega station some of them are today. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
Tomodachi Mike

I'm not too sure of the price of construction in Japan from a labor and materials point of view, but similar projects in Australia are of similar ball park prices. 

They are building over a live line also, so that would add to cost. Maybe cost of labor is high in Japan. 

https://www.transport.nsw.gov.au/projects/current-projects/redfern-station-upgrade-new-southern-concourse

Digging around a bit, the 25 billion yen figure (quoted by JR in their 2016 press release [1]) covers construction work at Harajuku, Sendagaya (rebuilding the disused second platform, resiting the entrance) and Shinanomachi (adding platform doors), though no doubt the lion's share will be accounted for by Harajuku.

[1] https://www.jreast.co.jp/press/2016/20160605.pdf

The Harajuku site is a tricky one as not only is the construction alongside/over 4 very busy tracks (which pretty much restricts any serious work to the 3~4 hours available during the night), it's also a *very* constricted site so you've got factors like needing late-night just-in-time delivery of materials etc. adding to the cost.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 9/2/2019 at 8:52 PM, railsquid said:

Digging around a bit, the 25 billion yen figure (quoted by JR in their 2016 press release [1]) covers construction work at Harajuku, Sendagaya (rebuilding the disused second platform, resiting the entrance)

Said former disused second platform has been opened for use at some point during the past few weeks, just in time for the 2020 2021 Olympics.

sendagaya-2020-07-03_01.thumb.jpg.749e5e809fa262ed19ee42d1512f527e.jpg

• Like 1