Japan’s problem with noise pollution

bill937ca

Japanese train stations, in‌ ‌particular, seem to be a haven of noise, with constant overlapping announcements and megaphone-wielding staff. In 2008 a doctor independently measured the sound levels of several stations and found that Tokyo hubs like Ueno and Tameike-Sanno were buzzing around 100 decibels, almost double the WHO’s recommended 53.

https://japantoday.com/category/features/lifestyle/japan’s-problem-with-noise-pollution?

bikkuri bahn

A blog post (from "Gaijinpot":tard:)disguised as a news feature- that says it all.  Coming back from a trip to New York City, it's the same as Tokyo, minus the announcements and warning beeps, but that's something you just get used to.  Live in the country if you want quiet.

7 minutes ago, bikkuri bahn said:

Live in the country if you want quiet.

Or keep your hearing into middle age.

jeff

10 hours ago, bill937ca said:

Tokyo hubs like Ueno and Tameike-Sanno

Since when did Tameike-Sanno count as a "hub"?

The thing with Tokyo and other big cities is that once you get out of the immediate vicinity of stations and main roads, in many places it's surprisingly quiet, almost serene (unless you're unlucky enough to meet a roving junk disposal truck blaring out their repetitive message).

Though we do live close to the border of three administrative districts, which means each has their own "time to go home children" tuneful loudspeaker announcements in the early evening, and if you're close to the border when they start up simultaneously it's a painful aural cacophony.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, bikkuri bahn said:

A blog post (from "Gaijinpot":tard:)

I remember reading through their job listings.  I don't miss that 😁

About this point, is it true that property near to railway tracks are generally cheaper due to the passing railway noises? I've read somewhere (cant remember where haha) that those houses near railway tracks or worse railway crossings tend to be a little cheaper... Though those properties near train stations are another story... 

I cant say that Japan is really noisy though, cause, like any other city, it will have noises from traffic, trains etc... Only in the country side can I enjoy peace and tranquillity … 

I remember while househunting, every now and again you'd come across what appeared to be a bargain, but checking on the location it would be on a major road or next to a railway line (without actually being convenient for a station) or (the worst one I found) in a quiet neighbourhood but next to what was marked on the map as a small "chemical factory" with a vent pointing directly into the "garden".

We lived in a house across the road from a railway line for many years when I was a kid, and we got used to it in no time. The track was down in a cutting, so the noise was reduced, but vibration did go through the whole house. I honestly don’t think it reduced the value of the house much.