Officials probe cracks found under third Nankai 50000 series "Rapi:t Airport Express"

Officials probe cracks found under Osaka trains that could have led to 'serious incident'

OSAKA – Transportation authorities found a 10-centimeter crack on the undercarriage of a train car belonging to Osaka-based Nankai Electric Railway Co. on Tuesday, following the discovery of a similar 14-cm crack on the undercarriage of a train of the same model on Saturday..

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2019/08/27/national/officials-probe-cracks-found-osaka-trains-led-serious-incident/?fbclid=IwAR2_WmrXPwgU59Q0PQBk7Udbfj-i-GbRcjMB3ctjg1MojwizOEdcVxNg5e4#.XWUtF-hKjcd

• Like 1

I’m not quite sure what I’m looking at in the video. Is it the traction motor suspension lug?

Cheers,

Mark.

That’s the trouble when the general/mainstream media reports railway topics. The term “undercarriage” means nothing to me on its own.

Cheers,

Mark.

Folks, 

Yes, a rather meaningless shot, a much better one would be to show much more of the bogie frame so one could work out where these cracks actually are.

Regards, 

Bill, 

Melbourne.

bikkuri bahn

In railway technical matters, newspapers as we know are pretty bad in the U.S. I find the Japanese papers in general (i.e. in the Japanese language) are better as the populace use/are around railways in their daily lives, but translation into English is dismal- typically you can get a better description from machine translation (coupled with familiarity with railway tech) than a human translation.  

Anyway, Nihon Keizai Shimbun is reporting that the bogie maker in the past has said that Nankai has been subjecting the bogies to greater power application/stresses (larger/heavier traction motors?) than the design parameters.  Nankai is scheduling a press conference this evening at 5pm. Perhaps things will come to light.