Hello from Washington DC!

Namba5

Hi everyone, I'm Dylan! I just started collecting trains after I took my third trip to Japan this summer. I've always loved trains but planes were my main interest. However, this time around, I went to multiple little hobby shops in Japan and couldn't leave without one. I left Japan with a very used set of 8 Keikyu Type 2100 that I bought for ¥5000. I just finished repainting it into an imaginary livery (images attached) because the previous owner did a poor job in maintaining it. Then I went to visit family in Taiwan and left with a 885 series White Sonic which I'm currently trying to install the Kato 11-212 LED kit. 

While in Japan and Taiwan I rode a number of trains including my dream the, Nankai 50000. Others included the N700A, Keikyu type 1000, Shonan 5000 series Suspension monorail, and various other trains I'm still trying to learn the names of (mostly metros/subways). 

My biggest regret is finding the Microace A0752 Nankai 50000 for ¥19600 at Joshin's in Osaka and not buying it (not because I didn't want to, but it was the train or food for another week).

So I'm very new at this and I'm finally trying to learn everything and wow there is too much to learn it's overwhelming.  I'm optimistic though so hello everyone!

IMG_0282.jpg

IMG_0296.JPG

• Like 8
Martijn Meerts

The most important thing to learn, is that Japanese trains are addicting, collections grow without really noticing that they're growing 😄

Other than that, people here are very helpful, so feel free to ask any questions you have. And remember, there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers.

• Haha 1

Welcome Dylan!

glad you found the forum! It’s a very addictive hobby, so watch your credit card, it sneaks over and orders stuff for you while you are asleep...

we actually have a japanese model railroad club here in dc! Your are welcome to come join us and run trains and such. Not much happening in the summer, but a few train show setups in the fall coming and we do sushi lunch (dinner if on a weekend) on the 8th of each month. We are currently doing a lot of 33mm Ttrak which is a great way of getting started doing modeling stuff.

Cheers,

jeff

• Like 2

Welcome Dylan, I see you have one of the very trusted JR Illustrated Reference Books 🙂

I don't think the train you repainted (nice job by the way) is a 2100 but rather a 600. A bit hard to tell from your pictures. If you are missing a case for it, I would recommend you look into Casco's offering.

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, disturbman said:

Welcome Dylan, I see you have one of the very trusted JR Illustrated Reference Books 🙂

I don't think the train you repainted (nice job by the way) is a 2100 but rather a 600. A bit hard to tell from your pictures. If you are missing a case for it, I would recommend you look into Casco's offering.

Yes! I bought the book many years ago but only started to study it now. 

As for the train, it is a Keikyu 2100 from greenmax originally an 8 car set but 2 cars were damaged during the repainting simply because the previous owner broke bits and pieces of it already and it was too fragile to go through the renovations. 

Happy to have found this forum! I've got a ditch in my wallet that I'm starting to dig 😅

7 minutes ago, Namba5 said:

As for the train, it is a Keikyu 2100 from greenmax originally an 8 car set but 2 cars were damaged during the repainting simply because the previous owner broke bits and pieces of it already and it was too fragile to go through the renovations.

I still don't think it is a 2100 🙂 There are several discrepancies that makes me think it is a 600, mostly pantograph placements, type of pantographs and number of doors per sides. The configuration of your train (three doors per side, double arm pantographs, placement of the pantographs) is consistent with the 600, not the 2100. Both  types have the same front design.

2 minutes ago, disturbman said:

I still don't think it is a 2100 🙂 There are several discrepancies that makes me think it is a 600, mostly pantograph placements, type of pantographs and number of doors per sides. The configuration of your train (three doors per side, double arm pantographs, placement of the pantographs) is consistent with the 600, not the 2100. Both  types have the same front design.

Oops you're very right. My mistake. I didn't have the box so I assumed. Thanks! Incredible that you know so much

2 minutes ago, Namba5 said:

Oops you're very right. My mistake. I didn't have the box so I assumed. Thanks! Incredible that you know so much

Oh, I don't, it's pure coincidence. I just had done research on Keikyu trains and had it open in the next tab when I read your post.

Your train could have come from a kit, which would explain the absence of storage case. I did one of their Keikyu pre-colored kits ages ago, a 1500.

• Like 1

Hi Dylan! Glad you found us! Japanese trains are an undeniable temptation; I started out just buying enough to run until it becomes just buying for collecting....   😛

Japanese airplane models are really nice too, you might like to check them out ~ 

Have fun!

• Like 1
7 hours ago, JR 500系 said:

Hi Dylan! Glad you found us! Japanese trains are an undeniable temptation; I started out just buying enough to run until it becomes just buying for collecting....   😛

Japanese airplane models are really nice too, you might like to check them out ~ 

Have fun!

Thanks so much! It is an undeniable temptation and I'm already looking for new models haha. I used to collect planes but they don't move so trains are way more fun. I'll just enjoy real planes from a distance. So excited to be on the forum

13 hours ago, Namba5 said:

It is an undeniable temptation and I'm already looking for new models haha. 

And down the rabbit hole he goes, and we will help you go deeper 😉

• Haha 1