Hayabusa door opens at high speed.

Folks, 

A friend, residing in Japan, has just informed me that whilst an Hayabusa was travelling at full speed in a tunnel, one of the doors opened.

Any further details of this?

Regards, 

Bill. 

Melbourne.

2 hours ago, ben_issacs said:

A friend, residing in Japan, has just informed me that whilst an Hayabusa was travelling at full speed in a tunnel, one of the doors opened.

Any further details of this?

I have merged this topic with the existing one, see link in first post.

Folks, 

Had a look at the newspaper article, a bit more info there.

I can't remember whether these doors are sliding or hinged, elucidation, please.

Regards, 

Bill, 

Melbourne.

Reminds me of a tale I read by a then-teenage railfan who, while walking through the train with his mates in search of the leading coach, opened what should have been a locked gangway door to find the nose of a locomotive staring at them. They may have stayed there with it open for a large part of the journey...

bikkuri bahn

The Hayabusa service in question is a short turnback service, originating in Tokyo, going up to Sendai, and returning.  It requires an interior cleaning before turning back at Sendai.  Apparently an independent contractor employee responsible for cleaning forgot to reset the manual door cock (located above the door in the vestibule) after finishing the cleaning. The train left Sendai, and the repeated pressure changes going through the numerous short tunnels south of Sendai, as well as the wind at train speeds up to 280km/h slowly opened the sliding door until it was fully opened, triggering an alarm in the drivers console.  The door was fully open for 40 seconds before the train made an emergency stop.

Edited by bikkuri bahn
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, ben_issacs said:

I can't remember whether these doors are sliding or hinged, elucidation, please.

All Shinkansen doors are sliding ones.

Off-hand I can't think of any hinged passenger door stock since the "old style" (旧型客車) passenger coaches, everything since then has been either sliding or folding bus-style doors (and those were AFAIK more of an intermediate thing).

2 hours ago, railsquid said:

All Shinkansen doors are sliding ones.

Off-hand I can't think of any hinged passenger door stock since the "old style" (旧型客車) passenger coaches, everything since then has been either sliding or folding bus-style doors (and those were AFAIK more of an intermediate thing).

The e5 pre-series set, which was upgraded to full production standard, has a "plug" style door behind the driving cabs, per Wikipedia

"The pre-series set, S11, was upgraded to full-production standard in February 2013 and renumbered U1.[23] It retains the flush plug doors for the passenger doors immediately behind the driving cabs, whereas the full-production sets have recessed sliding doors."

This incident is not that door, but I thought it interesting the question came up as I had just read that a couple weeks ago while we were on an E5

Unrelated to the automatic passenger doors, but are the cab doors sliding or hinged?  I think I remember the 700 series I rode in 2015 had hinged cab doors, which are manually controlled by the staff using them only.

16 hours ago, Kiha66 said:

Unrelated to the automatic passenger doors, but are the cab doors sliding or hinged?  I think I remember the 700 series I rode in 2015 had hinged cab doors, which are manually controlled by the staff using them only.

14 hours ago, RossDensha said:

I'm pretty sure all cab doors are hinged, (all those in service anyway, not sure about retired sets.)

Cab doors on all Japanese rolling stock (from railbusses to Shinkansen) are exclusively hinged, as they need to be opened and closed at evry stop the train makes. The hinged design is the one that requires the least maintainance, so almost evry rolling stock manufacturer will use those. 

Actually, the only rolling stock i can think of with non-hinged cab doors are the BR Class 313 EMUs and subsequent units based on it's design (455, 321...). 

Not only they're of the plug type, but (semi) power-operated as well! 

0:16

We have the power plug doors in our QLD fleet also for some units, 100 and 120 series.  They are consistently failing and getting stuck.  At the end of the year, they are going to Maryborough to have a cab overhaul and the power plug doors will be replaced with hinged doors.

Yes, they have those in Sydney in Australia too, I'm pretty sure it's on the A sets.

Some Eizan line sets are manual sliding doors, watch from 4:27 of this video: