Video: Got N gauge overhead wire parts!

bill937ca

Yeah this is made to clip down well to standard Tomix and Kato long straight segments. Ttrak ar 310mm is a bit off...

jeff

The overhead line in the video is filigree, but then depends too deep. The right height is missing here. It might be suitable for simple masts, as they were or are used in private rail companies

The desire for a 310mm wire, unfortunately, I can not meet. My wires are made on an A4 sheet, maximum is 290mm.

I'm imagining the disaster that would strike if the cats decided to jump up again on the layout with it fully strung with this...though the price for it will keep me away.

Problem with doing catenary on Ttrak is also where to put the masts and what to do at module junctions with the catenary to connect it. Could space masts at like 155mm so you would have one full section on the middle and half on each end, but would be a bit close together for straight tracks.

there was ncat and they had modules and connected live cat across modules with connector pieces that popped in.

jeff

Something modular would be great for T-trak that is not fixed to the catenary poles. At this moment I am fine with the poles only modules, but would be great to see some wires in the straight section at least.

On 8/18/2019 at 8:16 PM, bill937ca said:

One comment says the parts are hard to get.

Looks like Ginga Models parts. These have been OOP for a long while. The packet was bought second-hand, it has a Hard-Off label.

Cheers NB

On 8/19/2019 at 10:55 AM, cteno4 said:

Problem with doing catenary on Ttrak is also where to put the masts and what to do at module junctions with the catenary to connect it. Could space masts at like 155mm so you would have one full section on the middle and half on each end, but would be a bit close together for straight tracks.

there was ncat and they had modules and connected live cat across modules with connector pieces that popped in.

jeff

In HO and O trolley clubs (specifically East Penn Traction), a lot pf groups have "spacer" wires that bridge the gap, although this in for trolley wire, not catenary. In HO, one of my clubs is considering extending the wire just past the module and turning the ends up so the two ends would smoothly transfer the pans from one section to the other.

That’s what n cat uses. It’s just very fiddly at n scale. Live cat usually uses very strong metal poles and arms as it needs to be robust, holding catenary in place for real use.

Even spacing of poles on Ttrak puts poles at 155mm spacing as 310mm may be a bit too long and flimsy for something carted around. There’s two basic options, one you put poles 1/4 way in from ends if connector 155mm pieces of catenary are used between modules on their poles. Would be fiddly to come up with a way to do the temporary etched catenary attachment, maybe small magnets but depending on the stainless may not work well. The second option would be to put poles at ends and center of each module but then you have doubling up of poles at each module junction. Could leave a bit of cat wire hanging over the edge of the module end to visually meet up with the next module visually (don’t need contact as it’s not for live cat), but this is where a small difference in the poles between modules could really be visible and look funny and be hard to maintain module to module.

This also brings up having a catenary pole at the edge of a Ttrak module is just asking for serous trouble as carrying, assembling, disassembling and putting modules into storage containers is notorious for snagging stuff like this. Light poles get snagged all the time away from the edges. Especially bad if you use boxes for transport and storage and drop them in/out of the boxes. Some use slings to help drop in/lift out Best is to have a box or frame with shelf sliders where you can just slide modules in to lessen the edge detail bashing.

its a challenge but could look cool. Requires it be done for a string of modules or it could look spotty to the eye. I’ve seen a few ntrak modules with catenary on but there it’s fine if just for a module or two as they are 4’ wide and take up most all your field of view standing in front of it.

in any case it would require some special cat wires etched for Ttrak spacing. I guess you could try the 280 centered with 2 polesand just have 30mm coupler wires for visual connection but may look funny around the module junctions.

Jeff