Yodobashi Shinjuku

Tony Galiani

Tony Galiani

I have read through this forum and learned that the Yodobashi store in Shinjuku carries model trains.  Can anyone tell me where the model railway shop is located inside Yodobashi Camera?  I have tried their web shop but that has not been useful to me.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tony

Yodobashi Camera has multiple stores in Shinjuku. There is an East and several West stores.  At the west set of stores theres is a  Hobby Toy Museum store and the trains are located in the   1st basement floor.

https://www.yodobashi.com/ec/store/floor/0011/  (Scroll down)

Generally people looking for trains at Yodobashi Camera seem to have success at the Akihabara store. Trains are on the 6th  floor.

https://www.yodobashi.com/ec/store/floor/0018/

Tony Galiani

I appreciate the additional information.  I had found the Shinjuko East location on the map and missed the other stores.  Did not realize how many locations there are in Shinjuku and elsewhere in Tokyo.

I don't want to spend a lot of time shopping in Tokyo but do hope to come home with a few items so looking forward to seeing what they have.

Tony

The Yodobashi Shinjuku store has (as of November 2021) moved the model railway section to the third floor (3F) of the building across the street:

yodobashi-camera-shinjuku-2021-11.thumb.jpg.1addc81dd58b6730abab69990da39e66.jpg

Easily recognizable from the Kato/Tomix/MA logos in the windows. More spacious than the previous location, and the general modelling supplies (paints etc.) are on the same floor.

It does actually connect at ground level to the main Shinjuku store, though unless you're familiar with its maze-like interior, it may be easier to access from the street.

Edited by railsquid
  • Like 4

Although a larger space, as of March 2023 the Yodobashi Shinjuku seemed to have a substantially smaller stock of trains than my previous visit to the old basement location in September 2019. Rather disappointed, as I bought lots here last time. 

Yup been reading on various model railway communities that their stock level has been shrinking. Bit of a shame if you liked shopping there.

Edited by katoftw

It was worse at the Yodobashi in Kyoto. Train section there has devolved to a couple cases against a back wall somewhere with a couple short rows of shelving with little but miscellaneous parts. Had a hard time locating and then felt sad - guess Yodobashi is not seeing enough model train sales?

I think that Yodobashi never really had a lot of stock, except for the most popular items. I recommend checking their web site first. Search for the items you want and they indicate the availability (and stock level) at each of their branches. The link is on the right. The meaning is “Store with stock”. It works well with Apple or Google translate.

1318477194_.com-TOMIXN5564TCS3F.thumb.png.2f09b9e18ab6bf9e1fe53a8ac294ea3e.png

Das Steinkopf

I went to both the Shinjuku and Akihabara stores at between mid and late May as my wife an I used Tokyo as a stopover for going to UK and home, the Shinjuku store was better stocked than Akihabara and had a slightly more diverse range, overall I would not say the store was bereft of variety, but it wasn't brimming with it either, I must say when the store was situated across the street it was far better. That said my overall feel of hobby stores in general in Tokyo was rather lacklustre, Tam Tam and Popondetta just did not have the wow factor that those stores have had on my previous trips to Tokyo, to be frank they just did not seem to have the diversity that they did any the past and seemed to have pretty basic stock levels. In some respects though I think this could also be a case of I know where to look for things these days and can find much more niche items online, the only real standout for me was Models Imon and its Shibuya store. One thing I did do that I didn't on previous trips was really delve into the 2nd hand stores, I went to both Hobbyland Pochi in Akihabara as well as a couple of others, I was able to pick up a Tomytec excavator and a Pro Hobby mobile crane, I did see a laser cut kit for Kowada Eki on the Iidasen for ¥1900 that I was tempted to buy but I baulked at buying it as I already have enough projects in the pipeline including a model of the Misakubo #6 bridge.