Kato EF81 in HO

marknewton

Do you get the number and builder's plates in the loco box?

I'm slightly more inclined to look for one now I know there aren't holes all over it. I was hoping for a similar level of detail and pricing to the EF510, but it'll still be a tough choice between this and an EF65.

Yes you get 4 options of number plate and 2 for the maker plate (Mitsubishi or Hitachi) There are also 2 headmarks included with the pink loco. Nihonkai and Tsurugi. You would obviously get Hokutosei with the Hokutosei colour.

All the other details, roof equipment, wipers, grab handles, jumper cables as well as a few other loco details are supplied only in the detail pack. From what I saw of the detail pack today, body details are in both deep red and rose pink. Everything else in one set is only enough to complete one loco. So the other body details are spares.

• Thanks 1
On 2/1/2020 at 5:44 PM, al camino said:

My Tomix Twilight Express (Basic Set & Set A) needs a locomotive.

The Tomix EF81 is a little out of my current budget.

Hobby Search openend a sale this noon.

And they offered the Tomix Twilight EF81 reduced.

So the stress of budget is not so bad.

I grabbed the last one of their stock.

It is awful - discounted items always raise the load on budget.

• Like 2
On 2/1/2020 at 5:44 PM, al camino said:

I need to save it for the 小田急3100形 coming later this year as well as for Tenshodos EF10 and/or EF56.

Back from the dentist  (now 4 wisdom teeth less, survived the show).

While beeing medicated in the chair (thinking of movie "Marathon Man") I relized that with the EF81 bargain the desired EF10 or EF56 went far into the future.

I hope I will get these plastic shell Tenshodos still then. They had a reasonable price.

The new metal ones are far out of focus.

• Like 1

So my EF81 arrived. This is what you get in the boxFF14B1DF-0619-42DC-B63E-F0E0DA2E813E.thumb.jpeg.f18ee61c21110f31766cabd7a5989180.jpegThen this is what you get in the detail pack, which, let’s remind ourselves, Kato want ¥3000+tax for at the regular SRP. 5BC408D9-6D98-4FAB-8135-8AEDB4724682.thumb.jpeg.8f0d414312bdc4e29a5d1868db850126.jpeg

2 of the sprues are essentially obsolete unless you purchase the other livery, for which you’d need another detail pack, and these become spares. Also only comes with 4 wipers so no spares for the things that love to ping across the room. I paid just over ¥17,000 for the 2 which is not bad but they should’ve just put the detail parts in the box.

2042951E-E1F6-43EA-945E-45C33FD23EF8.thumb.jpeg.05671b90a14c1a50fa182be62e51d9a7.jpegI’ll reserve judgement until I’ve added all the parts. Being Kato it seems to run nicely so I am keen to kit it out properly with all the necessary bits.

Edited by Kamome
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How about the holes in shell. Do we have to rill them? Are there guide dimples? Or can we we place the overpriced detail bag parts directly as good fitting as KATO usually do?

Yes all the holes have to be drilled but there are guide marks to help with this. They have also included a plastic drilling guide for the door recess, to add the side pod light. There are no pre-marked holes here but the guide fits flush into the cab door recess to give you precision holes.

Essentially the instructions say you need 0.5mm, 0.8mm and 0.9mm drill bits. I found in the case of my drill bits that these sizes were a little too big. I measured the bits up against the pegs on the parts and found more appropriate sizes rather than have gaping holes. It could be that my drill bits are not exact.

The instructions are not overly clear. Probably would be if my Japanese was better but I have drilled 2 extra holes in the roof piece due to different options being available. I actually had to go to Tomix’s HO site for the EF81 to establish what the different roof options looked like. Ultimately I drilled 2 that I didn’t need but luckily they are reasonably unnoticeable under roof equipment. I may decide to fill them if they become annoying.

I am about halfway through the detailing. I have the finer handrails and jumpers to apply which all need roughly a 0.5mm bit. I’ll post some pictures once it’s complete but it’s starting to look a lot better.

I have a slight grumble regarding the pantographs. They are sprung metal as you’d normally get with Kato but the bases are plastic and the securing clip to keep it down are also plastic and not very good. Go back to full metal pantographs please KATO.

• Thanks 1

Ohh - I am afraid the annoying trend to save (degrade, leave off, change to cheap material, move parts to extra kits etc.) everywere reached KATO.

We have to watch out not to feel the good old rugged KATO design for a reasonable good price and then buy degraded stuff & extras.

I join your grumble.

Well I finished the EF81 build and I would suggest that if you get this model, you really do need the detailing parts.
Here it is next to its n gauge counterpart.

3C93F80E-0C83-41A9-BBD1-862094E4C8A9.thumb.jpeg.bf551887e4482871c8958bf651f426b2.jpeg

Yes it’s a bit of a faff with all the drilling, but it does make it a half decent looking model. This image gives you an idea of what is missing off of the base model.

E17389A9-AFA4-4D90-A02F-ED344D8E5D02.thumb.jpeg.7af800940e4fa639c754a1f3c7593c21.jpeg

Still need some Kadee couplers (thought I had some but turned out to be short shank 143s which foul the hoses) and some crew. 

I think the Tomix is a little better but the lower price and the nice tail light/shunting light feature, make it a very close second and should look the business after some weathering.B8371667-F9F3-4D5C-8156-CFFDCD6ACC5F.thumb.jpeg.2bd122f3dcf43f2b0786343bdf231c94.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1