Tokyo, Hakone and Kyoto August 2019

At the end of this month I'm attending a conference in Kyoto, so my wife and I decided to make a trip of it. Ten days starting in Tokyo and ending in Kyoto. We have our JR passes, a couple of days in a fancy hotel in Hakone booked, and (as stipulated by my wife) tickets for Universal Studios Japan. It can't come soon enough because work has been a real drag recently. Of course I'll also do some train-related shopping and photography.

• Like 6
bikkuri bahn

You can even make the trip to USJ a bit of a railfan event, as the JR station before the USJ stop, Ajikawaguchi, is right alongside a freight yard.  You may see electric locos or a hybrid shunter.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Grant_T said:

At the end of this month I'm attending a conference in Kyoto, so my wife and I decided to make a trip of it. Ten days starting in Tokyo and ending in Kyoto. We have our JR passes, a couple of days in a fancy hotel in Hakone booked, and (as stipulated by my wife) tickets for Universal Studios Japan. It can't come soon enough because work has been a real drag recently. Of course I'll also do some train-related shopping and photography.

in my signature you can find a map of train shops I visited in japan, that might be useful.

There is also a burger joint with model train diorama's that you could visit. One is across the Ponpondetta in the Aeon Mall just south of Kyoto Station. https://www.chouchou-popon.jp/burger/?fbclid=IwAR1eBONo7zlRnF6Du64OSjkQ8IGr3bxeN_TSNJKdFWNjqsooJqihV_XV_Tg

• Like 1

Hakone is a truly beautiful place, I've been there last year. So many interesting places to visit around the lake, and the train route to get to Gora is so nice, through the woods, with a couple of switchbacks.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the trip!

• Like 1
6 hours ago, katoftw said:

Do you need a rail pass for Tokyo to Odawara to Kyoto?

Yes, we did the sums. We are also going back to Tokyo for our flight out of Narita and will likely make a day trip south on the Shinkansen from Kyoto. BTW, are you aware how rude you come across on this site? 

18 hours ago, Yavianice said:

There is also a burger joint with model train diorama's that you could visit. One is across the Ponpondetta in the Aeon Mall just south of Kyoto Station. https://www.chouchou-popon.jp/burger/?fbclid=IwAR1eBONo7zlRnF6Du64OSjkQ8IGr3bxeN_TSNJKdFWNjqsooJqihV_XV_Tg

We saw that last time, but I couldn't convince my wife to eat there. 😂

2 hours ago, Grant_T said:

Yes, we did the sums. We are also going back to Tokyo for our flight out of Narita and will likely make a day trip south on the Shinkansen from Kyoto. BTW, are you aware how rude you come across on this site? 

It is not rude for asking a legit question.

Your first post did say starting Tokyo, ending Kyoto. Hence my question.

Apologies if it seemed rude.

Edited by katoftw

Grant-T'

There are previous posts on things to do around Kyoto, the Sagano Romantic Rly., the trip over Mt Hei and beyond,  the Keifuku (Renden) light rail system and the Umekoji Railway Museum are amongst the attractions around this city..

Regards, 

Bill, 

Melbourne.

20 hours ago, ben_issacs said:

Grant-T'

There are previous posts on things to do around Kyoto, the Sagano Romantic Rly., the trip over Mt Hei and beyond,  the Keifuku (Renden) light rail system and the Umekoji Railway Museum are amongst the attractions around this city..

Regards, 

Bill, 

Melbourne.

Hi Bill,

thanks. I've been to Kyoto a couple of times before. We went to the railway museum last time. I'll check out your other suggestions though. Most of my time will probably be spent attending conference presentations. Which reminds me that I still need to write my powerpoints. 😐

Grant

I'm not a big one for taking tourist photos, but it has been an amazing trip so far. A couple of bad pics of the Hakone line, our fancy hotel private onsen (recommended) and view, and some of the local tourist attractions. It has been brutally hot and humid though, especially coming from mid-winter Christchurch.

01.jpg
02.jpg
03.jpg
04.jpg
05.jpg
06.jpg

• Like 7