Reading JTB Timetables

jamesbaby286

I am researching the operations of the Joban Line before/during the 2011 Tohoku Earthquake and Tsunami.

I have bought the JTB timetable book for March 2011 and I am currently plotting out the services along the line in a 24 service diagram. I am having trouble working out if the times on the timetable for the intermediate stations in a service are station departure or arrival times. It's definitely a rookie question but I'd appreciate any help.

So to provide an example:
1360286784_IMG_7142copy.thumb.JPG.d226b8030112e079038a43a1ab97c16b.JPG

So (taking the section between Yamashita and Iwanuma) is this going;
541-Departure
545-Arrival?
550-Arrival?
556-Arrival?
602-Arrival
Or
541-Departure
545-Departure?
550-Departure?
556-Departure?

602-Arrival

Unless otherwise stated, times on timetables are departure times.

In the above extract, Iwanuma (岩沼) is significant enough (it's just after where the Joban Line joins the Tohoku Line) to have both arrival (着) and departure (発) times listed.

For the final station (Sendai), the time is of course also the arrival time (and you'll be relieved to find 弁 - ekiben is also available there).

• Like 2

jamesbaby,

The vertical columns are individual trains, at the head of each column is the train number, and sometimes the train name, also if Limited Exp. and types of accommodation,, such as 'Green Car' and reserved seating.

Note that the train name can be used on a series of trains on the same line, each individually numbered, such as 'Wide View Hida 6".

Regards, 

Bill, 

Melbourne.