Madsing

Using LCD displays on my Yukari layout

cteno4

Nice, look perfect for more of your smaller station signs! Even in the background to have something just changing on the wall, would not have to be recognizable just the blurred motion of some electronic sign at any distance over a foot!

Wow on the price!

I had gotten some of the micro 1mm pitch flex pcb ribbon cables and little clamp down connectors when I was fiddling with the mp4 digital video players to mount the main board a way from the screen. Might be handy here.

at a trade show years ago I saw a company making OLED buttons for control panel. It was like 60pix square and about 3/4”. Controller was on the back of the OLED and it fit into a switch case they had designed. It had a very simple serial connection so you could load what ever icon or word onto the button to dynamically change a hardware control board. Always wondered if it ever took off as at the time touch screens were going like gang busters and big hardware control panels were getting replaced by a few dynamic touchscreens. But I suppose times when you need a hybrid. At the time the company was touting they were going to have these micro OLED screens on all sorts of stuff.

jeff

• Like 1

Drunkenclam

SUper SUper Cool

Madsing

Hello everyone,

This is what I have done with the "smallest display in the world"

The display is a tiny 72x40 0.42" OLED display, available from AliExpress here:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33026749951.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.291b4c4dOCepUg

For this project, I have used a Seeeduino Xiao microcontroller.

https://www.seeedstudio.com/Seeeduino-XIAO-Arduino-Microcontroller-SAMD21-Cortex-M0+-p-4426.html

I highly recommend it. The Seeeduino Xiao is compatible with the Arduino IDE, but it is much more powerful, using a SAMD21 chip with much more memory than an Arduino Nano (for example).

Fitting the display at the back of the truck was not easy. The display's flat cable is hardly long enough to hide the controller board under the street.

This is a video of the prototype that inspired me:

I managed to reproduce the indications (even the "ugly" kanji characters 😀), but unfortunately the OLED display is white. I tried to add a red/yellow/orange filter on from of it but it didn't work well. I'll try again later.

As usual, I can share the code with anyone interested!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

JR 500系

That's just amazing work! Really really nice! Your electronics skils are just amazing! 

• Like 1

maihama eki

What you do with these tiny displays is brilliant. It adds so much to a scene to have something non-static like this.

• Like 1

Kamome442

Outstanding work Madsing, these tiny displays bring so much life to a scene. Every time I see your work I am tempted to order a mini OLED!

• Like 1