Tobu Rly. SL Taiju set and push-pull operation

ben_issacs

ben_issacs

Folks, 

For a few years now the Tobu Rly. has been running an SL tourist train between Shimoimachi and the popular resort Kinugawaonsen.

This train, SL Taiju, comprises C 11 2-6-4 tank loco No.207, a good guards van, three coaches and diesel-hydraulic loco DE 10 No 1099.at the rear.

MicroAce has an N scale model of this train, , the C 11 is motorised, the DE 10 is not.

This is not a bad idea, whilst most controllers will carry the electrical loads of two locos double-heading or pushing  running on the same track, there are sometimes occasions with these locos fighting with each other, especially if they are of different makes.

The provision of a 'dumb' or un-motorised loco makes double-heading or pushing  a train a better prospect.

It would be interesting if MicroAce would offer the dumb DE 10 as a separate item, double-headers look good on layouts.

Of course, if one had a clapped-out diesel model, one could remove the motor and the drive shafts and make this a dumb loco for double- heading.

Regards, 

Bill, 

Melbourne.

Making a second loco out of a dead model comes up on the forum a lot.

Nowadays they are making locos without traction tyres so the second loco can wheel slip.

And if you sleuthly enough, you can buy the non tyred wheel sets and fit those to replace the tyred wheel sets.

In saying that though.  I added a DE10 for pushing my seven stars and DF200.  The extra motor had a far bit of drain on the electricals.  And the throttle needed an extra 25-33% turn to be the same as without the DE10 in the consist.  I think I'd prefer the dummy loco instead.

ben_issacs

katofw,

The no-tyred second loco could do a bit of rail cleaning with its slipping wheels.

I'd still prefer the straight out dumb loco.

Regards, 

Bill,

Melbourne.