Not looking at the scenery from a Japanese train.

ben_issacs

Foks, 

A friend is presently travelling by rail in Honshu, and in an e-mail he mentioned how frustrated he is by the custom of many Japanese rail passengers, particularly on the long distance trains, to, upon sitting down at a window and immediately drawing the curtains, so other travellers cannot appreciate the scenery beyond the window, and then getting involved with their electronic device.

I've not been to Japan since late 2012, but even then this trend was becoming obvious..

Comments from recent travellers would be welcome.

For N scale modellers, adopting this trend on their modern models means that they require neither lighting or passengers inside their Limited Expresses!

Regards, 

Bill, 

Melbourne.

• Like 2

Fairly common. Not Japanese specific.

But if you want to look out the window. Then book a set next to the window.

As a tourist. You friend may want to look out the window. But regular travelers don't as they have seen the scenery many times over.

• Like 1

Yes just put yourself in the shoes of the usual train traveler. Like Kato said not at all japanese specific.

also think the person next to the window also gets a lot more light and flashing of objects etc so they may need to pul, it down. Folks 5’ away a lot less. Simple solution, book a window seat if you want to look out the window.

jeff

Strong sunlight is a big issue, particularly on warmer days you'll often find all the blinds on the "sunny" side of the train pulled down.

ben_issacs

Folks, 

This didn't affect me much, as I was usually a solo traveller on the less busy lines, only sometimes on Ltd. Exps. etc. and could usually get a seat at a window.

Booking seats is o.k. if one knows which side the sun comes from, twisting and turning through the mountains, one could get sun on one side then the other.

I guess strong sunlight on their computer or mob. phone screens is a problem for the users of these devices, and as commented, if one is a frequent traveller, the scenery, even if it's attractive, becomes just a background.

Not sure if my friend did bookings, will check with him later on.

Regards, 

Bill, 

Melbourne