Tokyo Interurban+ T-Trak

EdF

So I have finished my basic loop of modules, below.

My next steps have 4 tracks,

1. Swap 180 turns on the end for 90 and add a single module between the corners to add a foot of depth to the whole loop/peninsula (in in another layout), this will give me room for trams and moving bus in the middle.
  2. Add a DAC20 to each throat to control the switches via DCC and a panel.
  3. Automate the operation for stand-alone shows, where I can place 6 trains on the station tracks and have them run laps, A>B>C>A>B>C and X>Y>Z>X>Y>Z.
  4. Add an shinkensen line around the outside.

tokyo_interurban.png

• Like 1

The one I am most focused on figuring out is the automation, since it might impact the way I handle the switch control.  I am thinking RR&Co, but if I could handle it all in hardware, that would be great, like a DSS1 Locoshuttle or any other solution, I've only found Sig-na-trak and Azatech stuff, maybe there are others?  The plan would be just to automate for left side running, so unidirectional, Yellow CCW and Red CW.  My DCC is all Digitrax and the decoders in a lot of my trains are EM13s, so I am locked in probably to digitrax transponding and loconet.

Any one have ideas on how to accomplish this?

Martijn Meerts

I don't know much about Digitrax really. I know automation like this could be done with an ESU ECoS, but that's not really an option, or at least, not a cheap one.

If you go the software automation route (which has a lot more flexibility), you can also have a look at for example Rocrail. It's free software and can handle automation. I believe they also have a way to program a modular layout, where you program each module separately, and then add them in a track plan. That way, if you change the layout around, you don't have to re-program the whole thing again.

Now, I've never been a fan of Rocrail myself, but that's mostly because the UI starts annoying me after a couple of minutes 🙂 But, it's free, and definitely a good place to get started with experimenting.

Looks like I can use 1 DAC20 on each throat.  5 switches, 3 sensors.  So the left throat would handle it's switches and the sensors for the red line, and the right would handle the yellow.

The switches (except the red/yellow cross) don't actually hit the edge, they have ~124mm, and then around ~1200-1300mm of block for a breaking section, would 124mm be enough of a stop section, I should be ok with a pretty low speed for the breaking section.

Are there any non-digitrax block/transponding solutions for 4 blocks?  The BXP88 would have to run one 1 power district it looks like, or the BDL168/RX4 seems a little fiddly for a ttrak module.