KATO Smart Controller

changkh

I am facing some issues with the KATO Smart Controller. Ran it along side my old 22-012 Power Pack Standard S on the V11 double track.

1. Slow response. It took some time for the train to start running even when I turn the throttle to 100%

2. Slow speed. Even at 100%, it is slower than the conventional Power Pack Standard S despite the adapter supposed to deliver more amps. This is evident when the train starts to slow on the opposite section of the feeder section.

3. Low granularity control. The train doesn't really response proportionally to the inputs.

I swapped the controllers around for a fair comparison. The slower one is always the Smart Controller.
Anyone using the Smart Controller has the same observation?

Edited by changkh

I think one of the features of the smart controller is gradual acceleration and stopping, similar to how the sound box and DCC on analogue track works. As in, if you put it at 100%, it doesn’t take off but instead goes slowly up until the max speed.

Didn’t know about this. Is there a reason for doing so? I prefer the way it works with my old 22-012 because it offers more precise control. Do you know if 22-018 works the same as 22-012 or is it like the Smart Controller with gradual acceleration?

I suspect it is to mimic how real trains behave.   They don't immediately jump to whatever speed you set the controls for but accelerate up to that speed. 

I think so too. But I still do not understand why at full throttle, the train powered by the Smart Controller is much slower then the old power pack.

6 hours ago, changkh said:

Didn’t know about this. Is there a reason for doing so? I prefer the way it works with my old 22-012 because it offers more precise control. Do you know if 22-018 works the same as 22-012 or is it like the Smart Controller with gradual acceleration?

22-018 works like 22-012. The only difference is that it has PWM function for the interior lights, besides that there is no difference.

On 5/19/2019 at 1:40 PM, Yavianice said:

22-018 works like 22-012. The only difference is that it has PWM function for the interior lights, besides that there is no difference.

I just got a 22-018 SX power pack. I read in another thread that you do have both the old S and SX controller as well.

Did you notice when turn to full throttle, the SX gives a lower top speed than S? Is this because it is PWM?

Also, I ran it on a Kato V11 loop. With S, speed is constant. With SX, noticeable speed drop at opposite side of the feeder. Is this also a characteristic of PWM?