Shaving in Japan?

bill937ca

I watch all kinds of Japanese train videos.  Japanese men, especially train crew are always clean shaven, no beards. We see all kinds of Japanese technology, but no shavers.  Jeff remembers buying a battery powered  shaver possibly made by Sanyo in the 80s.  Here, the choices are basically Braun (German) or Remington (US) for electric shavers or Gillette or Schick for blade shavers.  So what are the choices in Japan?

railsquid
20 minutes ago, bill937ca said:

I watch all kinds of Japanese train videos.  Japanese men, especially train crew are always clean shaven, no beards. We see all kinds of Japanese technology, but no shavers.  Jeff remembers buying a battery powered  shaver possibly made by Sanyo in the 80s.  Here, the choices are basically Braun (German) or Remington (US) for electric shavers or Gillette or Schick for blade shavers.  So what are the choices in Japan?

*Almost* always:

After yearslong fight, Osaka subway drivers win court case over Toru Hashimoto-era beard ban

No Philips shavers in North America?

Apart from Braun and Philips, at a quick search domestic manufacturers of electric shavers include the usual suspects, including Panasonic, Toshiba, Hitachi and a few others.

https://kakaku.com/kaden/shaver/itemlist.aspx

• Like 1
bill937ca

I think I've seen Phillips, but not on the last trip to Walmart. But then Walmart's shaver section could have used a restocking. 🙂

Philips is one of the major brands for electric shavers in the US.  It is all I have used for 35 years.  I much prefer a rotary shaver, which is what the Philips is.  However, in the US it was long under the brand Norelco, and is now under the brand name Philips Norelco (based on the US Philips website).

Edited by chadbag
35, not 25 years. I am not that young any more.
  • Like 1
railsquid

A long while back while looking for a new shaver in Japan, the salesman recommended Philips rather than a Japanese brand as those wouldn't cope so well with my facial hair.

• Like 1