Union Pacific Big Boy 4014 Firing Up its steam whistle after nearly 60 years

fadhhz

Just recently found this about a day or so ago when browsing some news for UP 4014,  Although as in the video it took them some time before the whistle sound was refined. But once it is, that sound, its just beautiful. One step closer for this iconic steam locomotive to make its re-debut on the mainlines.

For me personally interesting and exciting to see this good old hauler come back to life,  well worth the wait .Kudos to the UP steam shops for their dedicated work as well.

• Like 1
scotspensioner
4 hours ago, Martijn Meerts said:

Wonder if Kato is going to make a model now 🙂

Athearn were doing one in N gauge at one time but I can't say if it's still available

Martijn Meerts

I was tempted to buy it that actually, but it came at around a period when my model train motivation was pretty low, so skipped it. 

Still, with the issues Kato has been having with US steamers, I wonder what could go wrong with this one if they did a model 😉

Martijn Meerts

It's moving on it's own power again ...

Much better video:

kevsmiththai

Never thought I'd see the day!

if the guy who shot this did a bit of selective editing this would be a cracker of a video. Love some of the shots in the dark

Kev

4 hours ago, kevsmiththai said:

if the guy who shot this did a bit of selective editing this would be a cracker of a video. Love some of the shots in the dark

Agreed , saw the video as well. Stunning nightshots!

On 5/3/2019 at 8:51 PM, Martijn Meerts said:

Much better video:

That chalk-ish inscription of "bigboy" was interesting to see, paying a homage on how the name came to be.

And Now she's off to Ogden with 884 on a double header , beautiful sights! ( Unless that SD70Ace on the back of 884's second tender is Manually controlled instead of having it being controlled from either 884 or 4014, which makes it a triple header? .If i can recall 884 has the needed equipment for Multiple Unit control, not sure for 4014.) 

Edited by fadhhz