List of Zinc Pest / Zinc Rot affected japanese model trains

Yavianice

That's what I was afraid, it's the older "square" motor cover. It won't fit directly on the E0005 chassis without some modifications, but it's possible the underframe details sold with the E0005 are satisfactory to you. I'm not entirely sure the motor cover you have can fit on the E0005 even with modifications.

An alternative solution would be to hunt for a suitable motor car on Yahoo Japan Auction, either from a 481, a 485 or a 183/9. You can always find some and they possibly have a more prototypical motor cover for you to use. In any case, remove the cover from the chassis to avoid it getting warped without possibility of recover. And keep the bogies too, they might still fit the more recent motor units.

Obviously, this is assuming you want to keep your 481 motor car as prototypical as is. Otherwise, you can just plop the E0005 without any modifications.

I can contribute a photo of the characteristic crystalline broken edges, which might help others diagnose why their chassis fell apart:

This used to be half of a split frame 0-6-0 chassis in OO, made by Kader in the late 70s or early 80s. It had distorted badly and some projecting parts had already broken off. I was able to salvage the body, motor, wheelsets and a few other parts, but the chassis blocks had the structural integrity of a biscuit and crumbled when pressed between finger and thumb. Weirdly the cast ballast weight (screwed to plastic spacers held between these parts) is unaffected!

received_921650762445656.jpeg

On 12/4/2022 at 11:08 PM, disturbman said:

I believe this is Tomix 2223 from December 2010, 2222 would probably possibly also affected.

Can sadly confirm, have one on my desk rn

PXL_20230523_080149003.MP.jpg

PXL_20230523_080055356.MP.jpg

Edited by Wolf
  • Sad 1

I haven't had my 2223 out for a while. Should probably check it to make sure 🥺

Update, still ok, although the body shell never secured brilliantly well since I had to do some minor adjustments to make it run reliably. 

IMG_1192.jpeg

Edited by Kamome
  • Like 1