Cracked Tomix 300 Series Chassis

JR 500系

Interesting.  I had A6072 up until 3 years ago when I sold it to another JNS member, and didn't have an issue.  When did you first notice problems with A6071?

A month or two ago, but I had not taken the set out in a couple of years.

I have another train from the list but it is so far unaffected (E501).

• disturbman pinned and unpinned this topic
On 1/7/2019 at 3:31 PM, railsquid said:

I will trawl the junk bins of Akihabara and see if I can find a replacement (or signs there are other affected examples out there).

On my regular trawl I came across another chassis with the 2897 number with very obvious signs of disintegration. Yours for 900 yen in Liberty, Akihabara.

• Like 1

This is strictly a hypothetical question for me as I don't own a 300 series nor live in Japan, but how would Tomix respond to someone who bought this model new only to have it disintegrate years later?

Of course the warranty is long expired, but this type of failure is so severe and so clearly the result of manufacturer error...it would be nice if Tomix looked after the people affected, or at least made replacement chassis parts available.

On 1/7/2019 at 12:18 AM, railsquid said:

Yikes - I have a 92808... Yup, does not look good 😞

tomix-300-series-shinkansen-chassis-issue-92808.thumb.jpg.87fe58f2176f0b60a07ac603bd5abb0c.jpg

This too was a second-hand purchase from 2015, it's not one I get round to running much, but didn't notice any problem before. It looks like the chassis is deformed very slightly downwards; it still runs, but derails on Tomix curved points.

Well , over two years later it looks like this:

51538790531_4201a81b44_z.jpg

Tomix 300 series Shinkansen by Rail Squid, on Flickr

and stripping the chassis down before it deforms the plastic parts any further reveals it has taken on a distinct banana shape:

51539513784_874b034b68_z.jpg

But! Help is at hand, for today I heard that Tomix part 0632 (E2 series chassis):

51539717370_93ce094869_z.jpg

Tomix 0632 replacement chassis by Rail Squid, on Flickr

is effectively a drop-in replacement, so hurriedly acquired one (fortunately they seem readily available), and indeed it is:

51539513849_306cfe123d_z.jpg

Luckily the underframe (which split) appears to be exactly the same on the E2 chassis, dunno if Tomix are being lazy or both designs really have the exact same arrangement, but I don't care that much. I do care enough to swap the seating units due to the different colour, and also the bogies (which are very similar but not quite identical). Runs perfectly :D.

51539032878_ffbb4b8b4d_z.jpg

Edited by railsquid
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
35 minutes ago, disturbman said:

Neat. Happy for you. I have not checked but, with the rerelease of the 300, isn't Tomix releasing a replacement chassis?

Yeah i was awaiting this too, and being spare parts, HS has the highest chance where we can buy them from... But i guess now is better than having to wait! Glad to see the E2 motor fitted perfectly. My only regret was not getting it when i saw it in Ami's bargain bin, could have saved a few dollars there...  X_X

Never heard of Tomix selling replacement chassis for models they sell (except maybe a handful. More the exception than the rule). Also @JR 500系, another good place is to check out TEC station (official assy parts for Tomix) and ask RGR to order it for you.

On 10/2/2021 at 7:27 PM, Yavianice said:

Never heard of Tomix selling replacement chassis for models they sell (except maybe a handful.

Here you go: https://www.tomytec.co.jp/tomix/products/parts/parts_category11.html

On 10/2/2021 at 4:15 PM, disturbman said:

Neat. Happy for you. I have not checked but, with the rerelease of the 300, isn't Tomix releasing a replacement chassis?

No idea. What I do know is that there was a viable solution definitely available now rather than maybe at some point in the future when I might forget about it :D.

(Which reminds me - Kato is putting out a new E351 release next year, need to make sure I can snaffle any parts to upgrade my old one).

New thread on Kato upgrade kits here

Edited by railsquid
  • Like 1