Our hobby while business travelling

NXCALE

I was wondering how other people manage our hobby while they have long business trips.

Due my new job, I have had trips for +3 weeks (away from home) and probably my trips will be even longer during this year.

So, is someone in a similar situation? sometimes I catch flights or sometimes I drive.

For the moment, I put our hobby aside (which is a shame) and spending my spare time (while in a business trip) learning android and reading books.

Btw when I come back come, I usually have many things waiting for me so not much time for our hobby either.

I had some ideas for my layout on this year but I think it is not the best time for now.

Cheers,

I've done two month contracts with the merchant marine.  Usually I'm too busy to do much, but I've taken the time to improve my other modeling skills.  I've found the 1/700 ship kits are great to bring as they don't take up much space but offer enough of a challenge to take quite a few days to complete.  Plus the usually fit back in the box once they are done!  

Another idea is to try to find local clubs in the area you'll be in and visit modelers in other areas.  Luckily Japanese trains pack away very small so bringing one along to run on others layouts doesn't take up too much space in the luggage. 

I dont think you situation is an issue. Due to life, I dont go near the hobby for two or three weeks usually. Sometimes a month or two. Just do what you can do when you can.

7 hours ago, Kiha66 said:

I've found the 1/700 ship kits are great to bring as they don't take up much space but offer enough of a challenge to take quite a few days to complete.  Plus the usually fit back in the box once they are done!  

Kiha 66, your idea gave me an idea.

Do some layout planning while travelling. Once I come back, prepare small things that I can take with me (things like a building, for instance).

Then during my next trip, I could work on it: paint, modify, etc.

So I would repeat the process: layout planning and working (on smalll things) while travelling and I just gather hobby things to take with me while at home (getting ready for my next trip).

I knew that someone else had a similar experience. Thanks.

• Like 1
On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 9:25 AM, sealegend said:

I am always out of the country travelling. I have been neglecting my hobby because of it. What a sad life. 

Wow... not 100% my case but welcome to the club... I think...

Anyway, I am taking my travelling period to try to follow another approach to our hobby (as mentioned it in a previous post) and also learn other things outside the hobby.

Cheers!