JR Kyoto Line 223-2000 Kato or Tomix?

sandiway

I'm thinking of adding the JR Kyoto Line 223-2000 trainset (8 car I think) that runs between JR Osaka and JR Kyoto station in just under half an hour (special rapid service). I've taken the train most recently in Feb 2019, see pic. I briefly googled it and found both Kato and Tomix makes it. Any opinions on which one is the one to get?

IMG_1510.jpg

Edited by sandiway
  • Like 1

I don't have any experience in comparing between the Kato and Tomix version.

I'll just add that I currently have a Kato 221 and 225 as Kato recently released their new versions with the fall protection in the past 12-18 months.  223 has not had an update yet, (which I am holding out for).  I noticed recently that Tomix's last offering a few months ago of JR West Kansai region trains of same era did not get fall protection updates.

Kato has DCC ready application also.

For the train you are looking for, there is probably a 4 car version also.

p.s. There is no E on the front of the series name.

edit// There is a 4 car version:- https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10065188 + https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10132177

Edited by katoftw
  • Like 1
21 hours ago, katoftw said:

p.s. There is no E on the front of the series name.

Ah thx! A friend told the Kato version is spectacular but he has not seen the Tomix version in the wild yet.

I have the KATO.  I don’t have the Tomix.   But I do have both KATO and Tomix JR 321 and JR 225.  (None of which are the newer rereleases with fall protection I don’t think).   I’ll comment more when I am home but I prefer the KATO.   If DCC is important to you then KATO.  

• Like 1

With my recent negative experience with Kato lighting on my Hankyu 6300, I'd be inclined to choose the Tomix if they are equal. But if the Kato is a better model, I'd probably suck it up.... 🙂

I have the KATO 10-536 223-2000.  This does not have the fall protection.   It includes close coupling.  It is quite nice, and DCC ready (EM13).  I also have the Roundhouse KATO 223-2500.  Basically same thing, different livery (and being Roundhouse, probably not technically correct).

I do not have the Tomix one.  I do have both KATO and Tomix JR 321, and 2 sets of Tomix  JR 225 and one set of KATO  JR 225.   Both are nice models.  Again, the KATO one is DCC ready.  The KATO one includes close coupling and runs quite well.  The Tomix JR 225 has Rapido couplers and you can purchase close couplers separately.

KATO lights are typically less expensive.  I personally have not had issue installing KATO lights, though I have only done it a small amount.  Most of mine are not installed.  I have some Tomix lights but have never installed them.     Personally, I would just wait for the V2 DIY board we are doing and double side tape it to the ceiling.   Much cheaper and dead easy to do.  

Both Tomix and KATO make good product.  KATO has some DCC ready stuff while Tomix does not know the word.  Tomix tends to have close coupling as an add-on.  I have a bunch of both sets and would not hesitate to buy either brand in the future if they ave what I want.

• Like 2