Train simulators for PC or Android?

Can anyone recommend some good train simulator games for PC or Android. My son has been playing "Train conductor world" and "Train racing 3D". Both of those are Android games that he plays on his PC using Blue stacks - a platform converter. I'm sort of jonesing for some train fun tool, since I've packed up my layout, but I'd like something better than these. Something more like Densha de go. Japanese would be optimal but not necessary.

Anyone able to suggest something? 

Train Simulator Classic (has Japanese trains via DLC, has many trains) and Train Sim World 3 (made by the same company, but better graphics than TSC but less trains/dlc), Trainz Railroad Simulator 2022, Japanese Rail Sim: Journey to Tokyo, Nostalgic Train, A-Train 9 version 4.0,  Train Crew, Far Away Train (No English langauge on this game), JR East Simulator

All of these are available on STEAM and I highly recommend getting them while they are on sale which is often...especially during the holidays.  Never buy them full price, strike when they are 40-50% or more off.  Also, make sure to subscribe to the workshops on Steam, as it will apply free extra episodes.

As of today, Some of the DLC's for Train Simular Classic, Japanese Rail Sim: Journey to Tokyo, Nostalgic Train, etc. are on sale.  

Edited by kndy
On 3/19/2023 at 8:36 PM, kndy said:

Train Simulator Classic (has Japanese trains via DLC, has many trains) and Train Sim World 3 (made by the same company, but better graphics than TSC but less trains/dlc), Trainz Railroad Simulator 2022, Japanese Rail Sim: Journey to Tokyo, Nostalgic Train, A-Train 9 version 4.0,  Train Crew, Far Away Train (No English langauge on this game), JR East Simulator

All of these are available on STEAM and I highly recommend getting them while they are on sale which is often...especially during the holidays.  Never buy them full price, strike when they are 40-50% or more off.  Also, make sure to subscribe to the workshops on Steam, as it will apply free extra episodes.

As of today, Some of the DLC's for Train Simular Classic, Japanese Rail Sim: Journey to Tokyo, Nostalgic Train, etc. are on sale.  

Ive been wanting Journey to Kyoto for ages - its not available on the switch store though 😞 I love that its all done with real life footage outside.

I'm not sure how this one fits in with what you're looking for, but one of my favourites that's sitting on my wish list of games to buy is Derail Valley, produced by altfuture Studios in Belgrade. It's a PC game (currently in Early Access) that can support either PC or VR modes, and it's incredibly realistic - not only can you drive the trains from the controls or from a User Interface, there's also realistic physics as well... including derailment physics, so best to be careful! The game itself is due to receive a major update at the end of Q2 2023, rumored to be in June, that will add even more features to make it even more realistic and fun, and altfuture has more content planned to add to the game.

Another train 'simulator' to use the term loosely would be Railroads Online, a open-world game where you can build and operate an entire narrow-gauge rail network, loosely set in a Colorado setting. Like Derail Valley, it's still in Early Access mode but it looks fun enough and the game's co-developer Astragon Entertainment are working on a lot of stuff to make it run better, add more features and yes, more trains (they've teased the Uintah Railroad 2-6-6-2T Mallet for instance which has got a lot of people hyped). This one's not VR supported, but there is a functional UI system or for those with a bit more daring, you can drive from first-person mode (which isn't easy at all, but it's doable!)

They're not Japanese flavoured in any way, but both games are great fun and on my 'to-buy' list though I may also need a proper PC to run them as I'm not sure my laptop will cope particularly with the updates coming to both.

If you want to get an idea of what you're in for with these games, I recommend a visit to Mark 'Hyce' Huber's channel on YouTube - not only does he play both games (and was at one point a member of the RO dev team who also wrote and played the game's original soundtrack), he's also a railroader IRL with the Colorado Railroad Museum. And makes awesome videos when he's not getting up to shenanigans. If you ever hear the song 'Smells Like Kenosha' in the background of one of his videos, watch out...

Alastair