kato n700 Em13 install problems

nik_n_dad

I'm having trouble getting the EM13 decoder to work in our new kato n700.  The motor car works fine on DC with the original board, but won't do anything with an EM13 installed.  I've tried a couple of EM13s now.  No luck.

Has anyone installed DCC in this model?  Is there something finicky with this model?  I've installed over half a dozen EM13's with no problems, this is a bear for some reason.

Maybe I just shouldn't do these at night!

Thanks in advance

alpineaustralia

I also have installed about half a dozen of these (including in an N700) without problems except in an E3 and an E4.

In the case of the E4, I fixed it by soldering the decoder into place.

In the case of the E3, the motor was shot and I had to order a new underbody. With the new underbody, the decoder doesnt make proper contact with the motor contacts.

Almost invariable it is a contact problem - either contact between the decoder and the motor contacts or contact between the electric strips and the decoder. Work on these areas and you will fix the problem.

Ended up getting the n700 replaced (one of the cab cars lighting jsut didn't work, so I was sent a complete replacement set).  Have gotten new decoders.  Have disassembled the whole thing and checked continuity and everything looks fine.  BUT, I still cant get the EM13 to work in  this model (and since then, have had it other successful installs).

Any other suggestions?

CaptOblivious

Ended up getting the n700 replaced (one of the cab cars lighting jsut didn't work, so I was sent a complete replacement set).  Have gotten new decoders.  Have disassembled the whole thing and checked continuity and everything looks fine.  BUT, I still cant get the EM13 to work in  this model (and since then, have had it other successful installs).

Any other suggestions?

Wow, hrm. I've never seen the n700 model up close (seen one behind glass once), let alone the insides; I'd need pictures to help you out, but maybe someone else here has that set and could be of more use?

Stupid question: It's not going in upside down is it? That's the only thing I can think to ask off the top of my head.