Hello from South America

Alejandro_SCL

Alejandro_SCL

Hello to everything. I am an SW engineer who lives in Santiago de Chile, I have two small daughters. I have always liked model railroad. In fact I grew up next to a suburban train station.

The current times and circumstances prevent me from building in a permanent layout, which is why I have decided to adhere to the Japanese philosophy of model railroad ... DC-controlled trains sharing a minimalist layout using power routing switches.

In advance, I would like to thank this forum because it has opened the doors to the exciting world of Japanese model railroad.

After some planning time; I have acquired

a couple of freight trains directed by an ED75 and an EF64; and I'm waiting for the arrival of a couple of commuters. All of this rolling in some sets and variants of Kato Unitrack.

• Like 4

Hola Alejandro:

bienvenido al foro. You can start minimalistic and evolve to very detailed modules or dioramas. For instance, check out the work of your neighbour Valkyriepm, the master from Bariloche. I started with ideas similar to yours, but now I am stuck adding more and more detail to my only module. I made a video of my evolution. It’s available in YouTube, search “Tsurumi line construction”.

Many people in Japan do n- scale modules to fit in a tatami. I

am a big fan of Cygnus485, also in YouTube. And of course, our own railsquid is building a fully modular layout that can be taken away when necessary.

Take a visit to the Washington Japan n scale club. You’ll find very inspirational work there.

Pablo

• Like 1

Welcome Alejandro! Glad you found us and the forum has been helpful. Lots of fun folks here that do exactly what you are doing. Our local club did our show layout for 5 years doing setups on the fly and minimal perceived scenery. You can do a lot that way. Check out this concept from wargaming, might be fun and dive deeper into modeling until you get to the situation where you can have the full layout. 

https://www.japanrailmodelers.org/pages/modelingjapan/tempoary.html

cheers,

jeff

• Like 1
Alejandro_SCL
2 hours ago, Khaul said:

.... For instance, check out the work of your neighbour Valkyriepm, the master from Bariloche. I started with ideas similar to yours, but now I am stuck adding more and more detail to my only module.

Thanks Pablo. Your modules are very nice; and the construction is super clean.

Regards

Alejandro.

Alejandro_SCL
1 hour ago, cteno4 said:

Welcome Alejandro! Glad you found us and the forum has been helpful. Lots of fun folks here that do exactly what you are doing. Our local club did our show layout for 5 years doing setups on the fly and minimal perceived scenery. You can do a lot that way. Check out this concept from wargaming, might be fun and dive deeper into modeling until you get to the situation where you can have the full layout. 

https://www.japanrailmodelers.org/pages/modelingjapan/tempoary.html

cheers,

jeff

Thank you very much Jeff. Yes, I've visited that article a lot of times. In fact my "layout" is mounted on a green plush waiting for more scenery ... although I still do not decide for this approach vs modules on the floor with a more extensive track plan. Time will tell

layout.jpg

• Like 5

Cool good start! Modules work well but can constrain the layout design some. You can always make a more complicated track plan and cut it up more where it fits the plan into uneven sections (sectional layout design).

jeff

• Like 1

Welcome!

My current "layout" is on a hunter green table cloth.  It works great for making fun to run layouts.

I am excited to see what you come up with in the future.

• Like 1

Hola Alejandro! Que gusto ver un vecino por acá! Beyond the wonderful japanese trains, is amazing what can be done on small spaces. You'll find lot of examples and inspiring works on this forums. Looking forward to see your builds!

Martin

Alejandro_SCL
5 minutes ago, valkyriepm said:

Hola Alejandro! Que gusto ver un vecino por acá! Beyond the wonderful japanese trains, is amazing what can be done on small spaces. You'll find lot of examples and inspiring works on this forums. Looking forward to see your builds!

Martin

Gracias por la bienvenida Martin. 

I'm publishing my progress. I have very little time,  the girls have returned to school; but I'm solved !!

• Like 1

Welcome Alejandro! Glad you found us! Have fun here!  🙂

I totally understand the time issue with model building ~ Take your time and have fun!  🙂

• Like 1