Across Japan in 10 days, Train edition ~Nov 18 to 27

to2leo

Entry #1, 2009/10/10, Introduction ~40 days before departure

Thank you everyone for all your inputs in my previous thread.

I have now booked my flight, got my 7 Days Japan Rail Pass voucher and got the Ghibli Museum pass from JTB.

I am hoping to make a journal out of this so that you can share my delights and laugh at my silly mistakes as I ventured to the Land of the Rising Sun the second time.  The only difference is, this will be my first solo trip Overseas doing something I always wanted to try...riding, sleeping, eating and playing trains!

So here goes...

I know I went a little overboard when the polite Japanese ticket agent had kindly e-mailed me the day when I ordered my JR pass.

Hello Leo

Please be advised that we also sell the air pass for domestic flight in Japan.

As you will be taking Air Canada Flight, we can book it at the special fare.

It costs approx. $140 for one flight.   I think you can use it when going to Nagasaki or Sapporo.

Please kindly consider this and let me know if you want to book the domestic flights.

Thank you!

Eddie

At the back of my mind, I know he is probably right.

But my goal to Japan this time is purely for trains so I thanked him and started planning my trip.

To take full advantage of the 7 Days pass, I need a reliable source for JR timetable which thankfully like DB in Germany, there's Hyperdia.

Hyperdia links all public transports together and provide you with an accurate solution to get to your destination.  Furthermore, it also gives you 4 other travel options just in case you don't like the first one.  They are then organised in the order of journey time, price and # of transfers.

Okay that's all for now...tomorrow and in the coming weeks I will post my timetable and more...

As always I would love to hear from you!  :laugh:

Sources for this entry:

http://www.hyperdia.com/

To take full advantage of the 7 Days pass, I need a reliable source for JR timetable which thankfully like DB in Germany, there's Hyperdia.

Hyperdia is pretty good. The first thing I do when I arrive in Japan is buy a current timetable, I just feel naked without one. :grin

One advantage about Japan is that unless you're getting up rare track miles on some branchline that only has 3 or 4 trains a day, it's not long till the next train comes along. I've often gone from plan 'A' to plan 'B' to making it up as I go when I see something that looks interesting. You'll find you can get a lot of value from a 7 day pass. I've been toying with the idea of a week in Japan myself if I can get the time off.

Thanks for the advice Westfalen.  My trip will mostly be on the mainline.  The train routes that I am worried about will be the overnight trains.  So having Plan B or C is a very good idea.

Entry #2, 2009/10/11, Planning for Day 1 and 2 ~39 days before departure.

If everything goes according to plan, I will lose a day when I arrived to Japan at 15:05 in Narita on board Air Canada B777-300.

I am hoping to start my journey with an overnight train from Tokyo to Hiroshima.

1) NE'X

NARITA AIRPORT(17:16) to TOKYO(18:18)

Notes:

Aiming to leave Narita with luggages and booked overnight trains tickets at the JR office.

Since I am going to opposite direction, I hope rush hour will not be that crazy.

If everything goes according to plan (a laugh), I can spend about 3 hours in Tokyo before catching my next train.

2) Sunrise Izumo

Tokyo (22:00) to Himeji (05:24)

-Overnight train from Tokyo

-Himeji is famous for the Himeji castle, I hope I can get a glimpse of it.

-Thought not sure about the sunrise since the climate chart indicates a 06:30 sunrise.

http://www.climate-charts.com/Locations/j/JP47769.php

-With the time of arrival, I can imagine myself saying to myself...

next time I should just take the Shin and spent a night in Tokyo.

2a) Shinkansen Hikari 485

Narita Airport (17:44) to Himeji (22:54)

-stay overnight in Toyoko Inn

-wake up early to take pictures of Himeji Castle

-jump to 3a)

3) Shinkansen Hikari Railstar 541

Himeji (06:36) to Hiroshima (07:38)

-leave luggage and buy breakfast at Toyoko Inn.

3a) Shinkansen Hikari RailStar 491

Himeji (08:01) to Mukainada (09:23)

-take sunrise picture of Himeji castle

-had hearty breakfast at Toyoko Inn Himeji

-head off to Mazda HQ tour

-jump to 5)

4) JR Kure Line

Hiroshima (09:31) to Mukainada (09:19)

-Mazda HQ tour.

5) JR Sanyo Line

Mukainada (12:10) to Miyajimaguchi (12:44)

-head off to Miyajima via JR ferry to see the iconic Torii gate

-some shopping and lunch

6) JR Sanyo Line

Miyajimaguchi (15:05) to Hiroshima (15:31)

-back to big city to enjoy sights

-ride the famous tram

As always feel free to comment.  I never been to Hiroshima or Himeji so any advice will be greatly appreciated.

post-60-13569923264651_thumb.jpg

post-60-13569923264763_thumb.jpg

post-60-13569923264859_thumb.jpeg

post-60-13569923264945_thumb.jpg

Sounds like you are going to have a good time.

I stayed for a night in Himeji in 1994, the castle as I recall is up the other end of the main street from the station and is hard to miss. The hotel we stayed at was next to the station and we just walked up the street to the castle. If you get the chance go for a walk up there in the evening too, it is illuminated and looks impressive at night.

If you like trams, you'll like Hiroshima. An option for getting to or from Miyajimaguchi is the light rail extension of the tram system, the terminal is near the ferry.

A disadvantage I didn't mention about getting a timetable when you arrive is that they are the size of a phone book and entirely in Japanese. ???

disadvantage I didn't mention about getting a timetable when you arrive is that they are the size of a phone book

Get the "Compass Jikokuhyou", which is a smaller B6 size, but lists all JR lines.

http://www.kotsu.co.jp/magazine/jikoku/compass.html

I've used it on a couple of short visits but I've always felt that there has to be things missing from it compared to the full size version.

disadvantage I didn't mention about getting a timetable when you arrive is that they are the size of a phone book

Get the "Compass Jikokuhyou", which is a smaller B6 size, but lists all JR lines.

I've used it on a couple of short visits but I've always felt that there has to be things missing from it compared to the full size version.

True, but then again, if you're purchasing the timetable for travel use, you won't use two-thirds (at least) of what is listed in the full-size version (which includes private railway, bus, airline, and shipping schedules, as well as listings of obscure hotels and inns, and pages and pages of fare structures and special offers of limited interest to short-term visitors and JR pass holders).  Of course, if you want to buy it at least partly as a souvenir of your trip and as a future reference, the full-size version is the way to go.

*historical side note: the "full-size" timetable used to be the (now smaller) B6 size.  It was in the late sixties when the format was enlarged to its present phone-book thick B5 size.

True, but then again, if you're purchasing the timetable for travel use, you won't use two-thirds (at least) of what is listed in the full-size version (which includes private railway, bus, airline, and shipping schedules, as well as listings of obscure hotels and inns, and pages and pages of fare structures and special offers of limited interest to short-term visitors and JR pass holders).  Of course, if you want to buy it at least partly as a souvenir of your trip and as a future reference, the full-size version is the way to go.

*historical side note: the "full-size" timetable used to be the (now smaller) B6 size.  It was in the late sixties when the format was enlarged to its present phone-book thick B5 size.

The private railway listings don't seem as comprehensive in the small one, it depends on what sort of trip you're doing. I have on occasion used the smaller one while traveling and bought the larger before leaving, I have a collection of them, they are interesting to browse through if not to lug around in your backpack.

Entry #3, 2009/10/25, Planning for Day 3 and 2 ~23 days before departure.

Day 3

08:30 HIROSHIMA > SHINKANSEN HIKARI RailStar 545 > HAKATA

-run to have a quick glance at Canal City Hakata

10:10 HAKATA > LTD.EXP RELAY TSUBAME 7 > SHINYATSUSHIRO

-Take photos of Tsubame 800 series

13:29 SHINYATSUSIRO > LTD.EXP RELAY TSUBAME 8 > TOSU

14:20 TOSU > *LTD.EXP KAMOME 27 > NAGASAKI(NAGASAKI)

Day 4

07:30 NAGASAKI(NAGASAKI) > LTD.EXP KAMOME 6 >  Hakata > SHINKANSEN HIKARI RailStar 552 > SHINOSAKA

-Osaka Castle

-Modern Transportation Museum

-Hobbista (Amagasaki)

Day 5

09:10 SHINOSAKA > JR Kyoto Line > NARA

-see deers!

12:09 NARA > JR Nara Line > KYOTO

-Temples

-Bamboo Forest

-Station

18:22 KYOTO > LTD.EXP NIHONKAI Sleeper car > AOMORI > LTD.EXP HAKUCHO

> HAKODATE > LTD.EXP SUPER HOKUTO > SAPPORO(JR)

-Overnight train

-Shiroi Koibito Park

-Sapporo Beer Garden

-Sapporo Factory

-Ramen Yokocho

When you go to the Sapporo Beer Garden, make sure to take a few minutes to see the 9600 class  2-8-0 steam locomotive (built in 1914, retired 1972) on display in the beer garden grounds (in the back between the beer hall and the shopping mall Ario).

Thanks for all the input! I am going to Den Den Town for sure....Also cannot wait for the Sapporo Beer Train!

Just need to vent right now!!!

Apparently Hyperdia.com just got updated and now I am stuck with the old timetable.

What's more, it looks like the new Hyperdia is not as easy to use as the original one!

Does anyone know of another online train timetable site?

2009/11/24, Day 6

22:00 SAPPORO(JR) 札幌駅 > EXP. HAMANASU はまなす > AOMORI 青森駅 > LTD.EXP TSUGARU 2 つがる > HACHINOHE 八戸駅 > SHINKANSEN HAYATE 2 はやて > OMIYA(SAITAMA) 大宮駅 09:29

2009/11/25, Day 7

JR East Museum

OMIYA(SAITAMA) 大宮駅 > SHINKANSEN MaxTANIGAWA 408 > TOKYO 東京駅 > LTD.EXP SUPERVIEW ODORIKO 7 スーパービュー踊り子 > ATAMI 熱海市

Visit Atami beach and resort and get a ride on Superview Odoriko

ATAMI 熱海市 > LTD.EXP SUPERVIEW ODORIKO 8 スーパービュー踊り子 > TOKYO 東京駅 > JR Keihin-Tohoku Negishi Line 京浜東北線・根岸線 > AKIHABARA 秋葉原駅

2009/11/26, Day 8

KODENMACHO 小伝馬町駅 > Tokyo Metro Hibiya Line 東京地下鉄日比谷線 > TSUKIJI 築地

Sushi Dai and market

TSUKIJISHIJO 築地市場駅 > Toei Oedo Line 都営地下鉄大江戸線 > YOYOGI 代々木駅 > JR Sobu Chuo Line 中央・総武緩行線 > MITAKA 三鷹駅

Ghibli Museum

MITAKA 三鷹駅 > JR Sobu Chuo Line 中央・総武緩行線 > HIGASHINAKANO 東中野駅 > Toei Oedo Line 都営地下鉄大江戸線 > OCHIAIMINAMINAGASAKI 落合南長崎駅

Kato Hobby Centre

OCHIAIMINAMINAGASAKI 落合南長崎駅 > Toei Oedo Line 都営地下鉄大江戸線 > TOCHOMAE 都庁前

Metropolitan Tokyo City Hall 's observation deck for sunset and night view.

Night stroll around Shinjuku

Night train ride

2009/11/27, Day 9

Free for all morning

Head back to Narita Airport

post-60-13569923416042_thumb.jpg

post-60-13569923416141_thumb.jpg

post-60-13569923416237_thumb.jpg

post-60-13569923416332_thumb.jpg

post-60-13569923416429_thumb.jpg

post-60-13569923416521_thumb.jpg

Well this is it.  Approximately 12 hours before I leave the house, 15 hours before I leave YYZ and 28 hours before I arrive at Japan's NRT.

Hope to keep in contact while I am there.  :grin

Leo - Have a safe and fun trip!!

Oh, and here is my list of trains you can pick up for me...... :grin :grin

Enjoy yourself and take lots of photos!

Sunrise Express was amazing, I got a single sleeping room all by myself with floor to ceiling windows.

Kamome just love the design.

Did not try E259 Narita yet, maybe on my way to Tokyo.

Went crazy during Pochi's used train mega sale at Hakata...spend US420 on 5 trains! 2 sunrise exp, 1 885 series Sonic and 2 Modemo trams.

Streetcar ride in Japan was rough and jerks a lot.

Okay that's all for now.  I promised to post more pictures once I am in Osaka tomorrow.