Filmed in 1972 but set on the Nayoro Main Line of 1935, this is a dramatization of a Class 9600 trying to climb the Tempoku Pass.  This section existed between Kami-Okoppe and Ichinohashi, and had a maximum grade of 25 permil.  According to the notes at the beginning of the video, engine 49672 was scrapped after filming.

Seven hundred seventy of this type were built between 1913 and 1926.  Kawasaki Heavy Industries, then called Kawasaki Zosenjo (shipbuilding), built the most by far, 686.  The locomotive shown here was one of 73 from 1920.  Following Kawasaki, Kisha Seizo built 69, and JGR Kokura Works built 15.  The last of the type was retired at the beginning of March 1976.

The video was posted by tyokutoku (https://www.youtube.com/user/tyokutoku/videos), have a look at his channel for more great historical films.

Some pictures taken between 1970 and 1972 of Class 9600 locos used on this line: http://home.a00.itscom.net/yosan/jyoki/nayoro/nayoro.html

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

That's a gem of a film.  Good resource for modeling late-era JNR steam freights too.  According to this resource, the Nayoro Locomotive Depot as late as 1973 had a roster of thirteen 9600 series, and seven D51 types.  

http://d51791.com/pg26nayoro.html

AMAZING!  The 9600 is my favorite Japanese locomotive, and I am greatly saddened that none survive in working state.  Its near impossible to find good footage of them in action, so this well shot video in such high quality is beyond what I ever expected.

Martijn Meerts

This slipped through my watch list when it was first posted, but since I'm now actively trying to figure out which 9600 kit to try and order, this video is great for reference. I want a version that would've run in mountainous area's where it can get cold, so now I can figure out various things based on this video.

shadowtiger25
On 7/2/2019 at 8:41 AM, Martijn Meerts said:

This slipped through my watch list when it was first posted, but since I'm now actively trying to figure out which 9600 kit to try and order, this video is great for reference. I want a version that would've run in mountainous area's where it can get cold, so now I can figure out various things based on this video.

what scale? Tenshodo has some in HO

On 7/2/2019 at 6:41 AM, Martijn Meerts said:

I believe both the full deflector and non deflector versions were used in the mountains and snow, while the half size, big and no deflector version was used in warm climates.  The warm climate ones in Kyushu also occasionally seem to have smokestack extensions added as well.

Martijn Meerts
13 hours ago, shadowtiger25 said:

what scale? Tenshodo has some in HO

H0j, so my options are rather limited. In fact, I think only IMON has them.

9 hours ago, Kiha66 said:

I believe both the full deflector and non deflector versions were used in the mountains and snow, while the half size, big and no deflector version was used in warm climates.  The warm climate ones in Kyushu also occasionally seem to have smokestack extensions added as well.

I've done a little more research on it. Initially I thought deflectors were mostly for tunnels, but they're actually meant for lifting the smoke at high speeds. Considering what I'm planning on modelling, high speeds aren't going to be a thing. So I can go with a base model, and possibly buy some deflectors afterwards if I feel like it. It's hard to see which spare parts are for which kit on the IMON site, since all spare parts are just 1 giant list, and you only get a description of which model they can be used for when you open the detail screen. Since they have several hundreds of parts, it's not really doable. Hoping the kit's manual actually lists optional parts.

First things first though, actually ordering a kit, probably going to look into it closer to Christmas when I actually have some time to work on it as well.

• Like 1