My first Japanese layout - The Adventure Begins

NateJ93

Construction of my first non-Washington themed layout has officially commenced and I've already completed the benchwork.

I used 1/4" pine board on top of 2" x 3" boards, so it's built like a tank (I can't get a good picture of it since it's in storage right now).

As per suggestions I've received, I reversed the yard lead so trains on the "Main line" (Outer loop) could access the "Branchline" (Inner track) and yard more easily, creating the final track plan:

2112495862_japanlayoutrealfinal(Diagram).thumb.png.2959155c9207c941f6351929ea2f0ea5.png

It's pretty modest when compared to other layouts I've seen, but I tried to make the most out of the space available to me.

I still need to buy the scenery items as well as the rest of the track, but I've put it on hold since I'm living "Paycheck-to-paycheck" right now and have little money left over for trains.

I've decided to theme the layout after a fictional railroad operating on a real stretch of line, but I'm stymied over what name the railroad should have as well as the location (I had originally wanted to theme it after the Omiya and Utsunomiya areas, but quickly realized either area was far too large for 2' x 6').

What I do know is it will be a private line with passenger services being mainly handled by Kiha 40s and the occasional short (2-5 car) EMU, and with a DD51 for backup power and for the line's freight services.

• Like 6

I've started my first Japanese layout just a month ago, so let's enjoy the ride 🙂

It's funny how we have a similar layout size (mine is a little be longer), but we chose such a different setting (mine is a Tokyo station wannabe).

Will it be DCC?

Yes, those corners will be tight. (Another Japanese layout newbie here—mine is 5’ x 2’6”) I think you’re at the limit of what most Kato rolling stock can handle 

Edited by Sheffie
  • Like 1

PAOLO: For the sake of simplicity, this will be strictly DC (Plus there's not much room to realistically run multiple trains).

KATOFTW and SHEFFIE: The outer curves are R282-45 and the inner curves are R249-45, although you're both right in that it's probably the tightest I can get away with.

• Like 2

I was more curious about the outer rail of the outer loop being only 18mm from the edge of the layout, (using R282 on a 610mm deep board).  18mm doesn't allow one knock to the layout, as the train will fall to the floor.

Edited by katoftw

Looks good nate! A whole lot of operational capability in a small space, plus allows you to have a train doing loops when you just want to relax.

Kato makes a good point about edge clearance. You might think about a plexiglass fence around the edge of the layout to prevent a few tearful situations later on.

It looks like a fun layout!

Nate,

Is there any reason for not double tracking the entire layout?  

Like Kato and Gavino recommend, if you have to build close to the edge, A barrier is a great idea.  My favorite two engines have suffered battle damage.

Mark

I made it single track to better fit the motif of a suburban private line, plus double-tracking would not only shorten the yard tracks but also require I convert to DCC, which is something I'm not ready to do.

What I might do is build a disused right-of-way (Raised lines of earth with lines of ties) at each end of the inner track to give the illusion it was double-tracked at one point.

Hmm...I'll have to look into a barrier of some sort though.

• Like 1