Kato Tram & Unitram - Preorder

to2leo

now just need the little sensor circuit that would cut power to the other tracks if a tram enters the cross over! would not be that hard with a simple relay to cut the power to avoid collisions.

cheers

jeff

Hobby Dreamer

Its not just a crossover but a single track crossover!

That automatically means single track curves. And some transition to the double track..

Mr Kato, what magic are you yet to uncover...

I caved in and reserved a basic set with Hobby World. I hope that crossing is the start of an extended line of track. It would be more interesting without a sensor circuit, operators would have to look for trams coming the other way before crossing the intersection.

CaptOblivious

Its not just a crossover but a single track crossover!

That automatically means single track curves. And some transition to the double track..

Mr Kato, what magic are you yet to uncover...

Huh? That's so clearly a double-track cross-over to me…

Also, searching the HW's Japanese site has made me realised that HW, like Popondetta, also deduct the service tax for Overseas customer in their English site.

Another reason to buy from HW?

The tax seems to be deducted by everybody but Tokyo Rail.  But he's often got what the others no longer have because he sells at full retail.  It wasn't too long ago that there were virtually no discounts in Japan.

Tokyo Rail actually charge MORE than the 5% Japanese consumption tax - since I querieds that, they do not reply to my emails any more  :grin

Tokyo Rail actually charge MORE than the 5% Japanese consumption tax - since I querieds that, they do not reply to my emails any more  :grin

not smart as i expect most of the oversea businesses to place like tokyo rail come from suggestions/recommendations/experiences from boards like this. when i hear someone ignores you like this takes them off the goto list! must say HW has been really great about communications and being flexible a couple of times there was some confusion with an order or when i mistakenly ordered something ems delivery and noticed it right away and emailed and they nicely switched it to sal. they have also special ordered a few items for me. that has kept me going back there.

cheers

jeff

Hobby Dreamer
That's so clearly a double-track cross-over to me…

My apologies... I found the photo on another site that was quite dark and looked like single track!!  I'm hoping for single track (perhaps so much) because adding roadbed to single track means less space and a lot less complications at intersections.

Cheers

Rick

Single track operations will also be very prototypical and add a lot of fun to a tram layout.

Especially if you use DCC and the tram operators had to keep out of each others way. Could keep you amused for hours. :cheesy

the little ru21 auto reverser/pausing system is also perfect for a tram layout like this if you are not into dcc yet. you cant run more than one tram on a line, but you can have it auto stop at up to 10 places in a point to point layout or loop. the acceleration/deceleration is very nice on the unit an it does pulse wave modulation on the begining to get the tram moving slowly so no jerkey starts at 0-30mph instantly you get with many auto reversers or its just full on/off!

im now thinking of ditching my ttrak tram corner modules and just do to rows of modules back to back so each side of the table is a street and cross streets every other module. then have 4 of the ru21 circuits so 4 lines will be running on the table at once going point to point. more prototypical than loops anyway! corners are such a pain to do with the streets, scenes, and making the roadway up to the track so this will eliminate that! will also get rid of the loop de loop feeling which can get boring fast!

cheers

jeff

to2leo,

i put a review up of it a while back on this thread

http://www.jnsforum.com/index.php/topic,1255.0.html

not much for a picture its just a circuit board with a slider on it for the throttle setting and then a strip of connectors for the sensors. the little sensors are like 0.125" in dia. you just drill a small hole in the center of the track to mount the sensor at the tie level. the system is quite cool in that it auto adjusts the sensitivity of the sensors when you start it up depending on the light level in the room at the time. most systems you have to set the sensor sensitivity manually which is a pain in the arse!

the system has 2 reversing circuits and 5 pause circuits, but you can boost that to 10 by putting two sensors in series.

over in the review thread there is a lot of info on the unit. yell if you have questions. at $85 its a great deal as it includes the power supply.

cheers

jeff

I just pre-ordered a Green one from HW tonight.  This is just in case I will miss the mad dash to Tamtam or Popondetta for the basic set release in November.  :grin

I must admit in a moment of weakness the other night i pre-ordered a basic unitram set at hobbywold... this is after putting a pre-order for a couple of portrams a week or so ago... where is the 12 step program for japanese trains.

cheers

jeff

Hello,

I just found this forum looking for information about the Kato Unitram.  :cool:

Looking for the release dates I see that Kato does not list the Unitram in the Schedule in the English site, but in the Japanese.

http://www.katomodels.com/distribution/schedule.shtml

The red tram is said to be in production this Friday. But, what about the arrow next to the Unitram set? Doest it mean that is already in production, a delay, or "no information"?

Darren Jeffries

Hi Nekomo and welcome to the forum, glad you are here.

I read that page as, that the downward arrow is just there to ditto the previous mentioned date, in this case Friday 27th November. I think the key at the top of the page says (although it did not translate too well) that anything with a pink background is in production now or has recently changed status.

Someone will probably correct me if i am wrong.

Thanks Darren, and happy to read your post. It really looks as you say.

So now it will be the time to look for a set. I asked to HWJapan for a reservation, but they were afraid about weight and EMS limits to send it to Europe. Seeing the picture of the box posted some posts before, I am a little bit scared too.