Unitrack Double Viaduct over platform

Hayashi

I'm discovering issues as I continue to refine my layout plan. Trying to follow the recommendation: design, then sit back for a while and reexamine.

To keep my overall plan width to 5 feet (max reach to middle of plan at 2.5 feet), I'm considering placing the shinkansen double track viaduct directly over one of the commuter station's passenger platforms.

1. Will it work to place the double track viaduct on top of the passenger platform?

2. Has anyone done this?

3. Best way to still have station signs under the viaduct?

3. Any ideas on how to provide catenaries? I would have preferred to use the catenaries from Kato 23-039, but not sure there is any way to make them work in this scenario.

4. Is this a stupid idea?

Hayashi,

i dont think this is a stupid idea, when you try to fit in a lot of stuff in a small layout you need to get creative and also jsut live with some trade-offs and compromises.

i do think you are venturing into areas with few definitive modeling examples to give you direct answers. What I think the best path to play with these ideas now is to invest in a few bits of track and platforms, catenary poles, viaduct supports and do a little hacking and wacking to mock up your various ideas to see what may sing to you. Many times in odder situations like this even if there is a photo some similar thing done by someone it can be very different when in front of you and be very disappointing. Even the detail trade offs can be a deal killer. I’ve always found it’s fine to work on paper and looking at other examples but for something special like this it’s always best to mock it up even it it means a few bucks. At most you are talking probably snipping apart a few viaduct supports and catenary poles (platforms just pop apart to play with) or see how it will look and work for you — and younare the most important person it needs to work for!

it may be that you see an idea for a custom support or platform you could do to solve some trade off you don’t like as well. Playing at this point with some mockups is just really good in the design process, our monkey brains work well that way!

cheers

jeff

I went back over the precast pier dimensions you gave me in a previous post and platform dimensions from Ken's Sumida Crossing site. It appears that the total width of the narrow side of the precast pier is 55mm (35mm spacing + 2x 10mm posts). The top of the platform width is 42mm. If these are correct, it looks like I'll need to create some type of pier from scratch. I was hoping I would get lucky and the precast piers would work. That would be easy if I could make a solid style pier. However, since passengers need to walk down the platform I would need something closer to the style of the precast piers--a little more challenging to model. It's like making small dining room tables.